** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

APRIL 15   1936

I woke to a cold and snowy scene this morning. About three or four inches of snow. I broomed the roof of my tent and fixed a breakfast of hot water corn bread and coffee. The snow had stopped before I woke so I set out on the hike back to the fault line and also seeing some bear tracks that looked fresh. Up at the base of the fault line I spied the critter. He looked to be needing nourishment and no doubt had not been too long out of hibernation. I have a good holler and he bolted up into the woods higher up the mountain. 

I worked the gravels swinging the pick and scooping out gravels by the shovel full at the base of the fault. There seemed to be broken country rock at the base. I went straight in and tried to get some depth which was hard work. After several hours of this I had myself a good hole going into the fault. About mid afternoon I was in deep enough to take some good sample buckets down to the creek. I saw lots of fines and very good heavies that weighed out rich. I went back out with a hand saw and started cutting back brush and small pine in order to fashion a crude roadway for my truck. At the last of light I went back down to camp and heated up beans on the stove and poured a good cupful of Irish whiskey. I began to formulate my mining plan as darkness took the camp.

TO BE CONTINUED ....................

• Like 9

Welcome aboard GhostMiner !

Jed's journal is a cool piece of history , Thx for sharing it here.

One word of caution, ,,, you're probably gonna want to add a detector to your equipment list after hanging out here for any length of time !😉

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Welcome aboard GhostMiner !

Jed's journal is a cool piece of history , Thx for sharing it here.

One word of caution, ,,, you're probably gonna want to add a detector to your equipment list after hanging out here for any length of time !😉

Thanks for the welcome.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beatup said:

sounds like a good read so far

There'a a lot to the journal with all kinds of twists & turns. I'll try to post some of it every day.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to ** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **