** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

19 minutes ago, madtuna said:

APRIL 30 1936

Saw two bears this morning, they are getting more aggressive each day and my hollering and throwing rocks are having no affect any more.

Hold up a second I think there is a bear outside my te…………………

By the way - this is not a post from the journal but some humor from a reader LOL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Kind of weird but I just got an email from one of my partners & we have some claim jumpers out there. It's well posted but they have got a big hole going. He sampled the hole and there is a  lot of gold. Now we know why they are claim jumping.

• Oh my! 2

April 29   1936

I think I have a problem, I leave no tools or buckets when I'm done for the day at the dig site. I do have a way to mark the dig area to let me know if anyone has been here besides me. When I arrived at the site this morning one of my marker indicators had been tripped and rock overturned. Someone is coming in here at night. Keeping an eye peeled I dug the good gravels deeper down. There seems to be no bottom to these as I am now at a depth of 7 feet or so. They continue to be easy work as well. I removed 90 buckets today and have the gravels in my holding container at the creek for processing. I am going back up to the dig before dark and see if I can catch the claim jumper. I'll bet it's the same two hooligans I ran off.

TO BE CONTINUED ........................

• Like 7

APRIL 30   1936

I spent a good part of the night near the dig site and watching for hooligans. I saw none. I hiked up rifle in hand this morning and saw no evidence of trespassers. I don't think anyone could have known I was up there as I was well hidden unless my camp is being watched. I have not seen or heard anyone down here at the creek. I am uneasy and worried that I could be robbed. I have decided to go into town and contact my friend John about coming out to the claim. I will take my gold with me.

I finished up the gravels. These were taken deeper and a bit into the hill. There was good rounded river rock amongst the smaller gravels. Very heavy black iron. My weighs continue to get heavier with 10 grams in the pan Upon contacting John by phone at town he is more than ready to come out here and should arrive in a day or so. It will be good relief to have a friend and mining partner at the claim. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 5

I will be posting a drawing of how Jed's dig site was layed out after I get a few more posts up so you'll have a better idea of what he was doing. I can tell you that there was an amazing amount of digging & gold found at this area in 1936. I am posting one picture for now of Jed's original hole as it looks today. It has collapsed and is flooded. It is in a remote area of the mountain and I have spent time working that area and camping there, sometimes alone and sometimes with part of my team. I always toast Jed with a cup of Irish whiskey when out there. I will post pictures of our team at the site later as well. It sits at the base of the northern area of the fault line. Very creepy to be camped up there alone at night. Lot's of black bear & a few lion. 

WP_20140329_022 (2).jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

I will be posting a drawing of how Jed's dig site was layed out after I get a few more posts up so you'll have a better idea of what he was doing. I can tell you that there was an amazing amount of digging & gold found at this area in 1936. I am posting one picture for now of Jed's original hole as it looks today. It has collapsed and is flooded. It is in a remote area of the mountain and I have spent time working that area and camping there, sometimes alone and sometimes with part of my team. I always toast Jed with a cup of Irish whiskey when out there. I will post pictures of our team at the site later as well. The picture is not posting correctly for some reason but here it is. It sits at the base of the northern area of the fault line. Very creepy to be camped up there alone at night. Lot's of black bear & a few lion. 

img074.jpg

On my first trip up to his old dig site I found this in a tree near the dig. Might it have been something Jed placed there to warn claim jumpers?

DSC00271.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

May 1   1936

I drove up to the dig site and found nothing disturbed. I took a walk around the perimiter of the area and saw nothing out of the ordinary and went to work with my pick at loosening some heavy river rock. I dug out some loose gravel underneath one of the bigger stones. Before I put the material in the bucket I took a close look at it as it layed on the spade. To my surprise there were a number of pieces of gold about the size of a pencil eraser or a bit larger. I picked them out and put them in a small bottle in my pocket. I am definitely on to something here. The digging today was slower due to heavy rock that needed to be moved with my bar. I have no idea as to the depth and breadth of this gravel deposit. I am down close to 8 feet and digging to the wall of the pit adjacent to the fault. My strategy is to stay along this level and work the fault north and south as long as the pay stays good. My bucket count was down to 65 today but I have a good feeling about how the wash will come out.

I am expecting John's arrival tomorrow. He is a good friend and can be trusted. He is a veteran of the Great War and can handle himself in the face of adversity. He knows hard work as well as I do. Tomorrow I will wash the gravels and get a weigh.

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Is that water in the old site hole?

Yes. That is Jed's first dig hole and it's the one posted in the journal. He did a lot of work up there as you'll find out. You aren't going to believe what he got out of that first hole but it won't be too long before we get there. I've done at toast to him with Irish whiskey right there. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to ** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **