** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

18 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Is there cell phone reception in that area?

Unfortunately no. You are on your own.

53 minutes ago, beatup said:

the journal story is getting better and better .

It's a fascinating story for sure. And we are starting to have some of the same issues at the same mine but 86 yrs later. Crazy. Thanks for reading the journal. There is a long way to go but it only lasted one season.

• Like 2

MAY 8   1936

I am beginning to worry about John. He is jumpy and in bad sorts some of the time and has little patience nearly all of the time. I fear he has a very bad case of gold fever. John is new to this game and we both have reason enough for the fever as we are seeing gold I could never dream of. I am doing my best to keep him on an even keel.

Last night was quiet. John took his shot at working the dig sight and I made adjustments to the tom and grizzly until the first buckets arrived. I gave John good direction on where to dig and the gravels to look for. What he brought down I washed - a total of 32 buckets for the day. The digging is very hard now. John helped me finish up and we did the weigh. It is remaining high grade with over an ounce made. We will stay on this spot until it's played out. Maybe it will never be played out, I don't know.

We are both keeping our own gold in seperate locations. I do not know where John has his and he knows not where my gold is hidden. Tomorrow we will switch jobs with me digging and John running the tom. I will do most of the panning of heavies as John is still slow at that. I am tired. Both in the body and mind. I must worry about John and also any hooligans that may show up. I sleep with my rifle and it never leaves my sight.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 4

I thought i'd post a few pictures of two of our company directors & wives doing some exploration at the faultline. There are numerous pockets of gold remaining and Jed didn't get it all for sure. We used heavy equipment for part of the exploration work and for the more remote areas that need more road building we went old school using a home built 14 ft long tom recirculating sluice with a 12 Volt Johnson pump. I'm the guy in the bibbed coveralls. We plan to work Jed's sight once again after an abandoned period of 86 yrs. Later on in the journal i'll post pictures of what Jed's site looks like today.

DSC00032.JPG

DSC00033.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

DSC00163.JPG

DSC00235.JPG

DSC00068.JPG

DSC00228.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

WP_20140329_022 (2).jpg

IMG_20190831_235355.jpg

DSC00025.JPG

• Like 7

To everyone reading the journal I am going to give you a chance to take a guess at Jed's total gold count. I can say that his season was contained to 1936. Another hint I can give is that the faultline is known to produce extremely large deposits concentrated in hot spots. One more hint comes from a geologist Jed worked with and it's pretty much what our geologist told us : "The ground along the fault can be yards to the ounce or ounces to the yard or no gold at all." There is np prize for guessing correctly but just bragging rights. It will be the closest gold in ounces without going over. I will keep it open until midnight on this Saturday January 29 Pacific time. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

How did Jed and John do today? Any more jumpers?

Make sure to read the new posts today & also posted pictures. Also enter your gold total guess.

7 minutes ago, PeterInSa said:

My estimate for 1936 season say of 200 days, some days less than 1oz to start with, then 1 oz + a day, but later many Ozs

So my estimate for the Total Gold count 700 ozs.

OK. Got it down. I have one more entry I will try to get on tonight.