** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

7 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

The goofballs returned with an army and wiped them out ! No one ever knew how many ounces were hidden away ,  but you have a map with an X on it. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So you found it ,,,, 9999 ozt

That's hooligans 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

I sit corrected 🤪

LOL. I'm assuming Jed was of Irish descent.

• Like 1

MAY 10   1936

At breakfast I told John that I wanted to go up and dig again and see if the kettle would widen out some. I had put a dent in its gravels yesterday. So John caught a little sleep while I drove up there. I eagerly got to work shoveling gravel into buckets abd seeing if the rich pay would widen out. It seemed contained to this small area so I shoveled what was in there. After I took 10 buckets down to John to start his day I went back up and kept digging. I eventually took a break. I grabbed the rifle and took a seat on a log near the hole when I thought I heard something moving up in the woods on the mountain. I heard what sounded like a branch break and someone or something falling through the limbs of a tree. Then there was the sharp crack of a rifle shot.

Rifle in hand I dove into the hole which was a good eight feet deep. I looked around but couldn't see anything. Then there was another shot and the bullet had struck one of my buckets that was near the hole. I was pinned down. John had to hear the shots and would come running. Camp was less than hald a mile away and sound travelled here. 

Eventually I heard John holler to me was I ok? I hollered back yes and told him what was going on. He had war experience. He told me to stay put and he'd try to scout the area. I waited for a good twenty minutes or so and John came back from the north hiking down the ravine. He said he couldn't find anyone but maybe we both better get back to camp. I didn't want to leave the buckets of pay so we both loaded them on the truck. There were 15 of them. Then we went back down to camp and got a surprise.

Our camp had been robbed. They stole our gear and food but left the tom and grizzly alone. Our tents were ok as well. Lucky our gold was well hidden and not touched. We figured whoever these hooligans were they must have planned this out. Create a diversion at the dig site while the rest of them robbed our campand carried off what they could. John was madder than i'd ever seen him. He told me he would kill them if he found them, I calmed him down and said we still had our gold and more buckets to wash and we could go to town and get supplies to replace what they stole.

So I took the truck to town while John washed gravels and kept a lookout on camp as best he could. I got back after a couple of hours and there was no further trouble. I helped John finish up the heavies and we weighed up the gold. What we saw in the pan made us almost forget about the robbers for a minute or two. We got 43 ounces out of the 25 buckets. I did some figuring and it was a better percentage per bucket than yesterday. John asked me if I thought this would keep going. I told him the kettle was nearly played out but maybe one more good day. We both stayed in camp that night and took turns on watch. I drank some Irish whiskey to ease my mind.

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

• Like 7

Here are the remnants of an old miners cabin we found while exploring up on the mountain. 

DSC00048.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

• Like 4

Look at that big assed Doug Fir you're standing next too! Pine in background looks juicy too.....

• The title was changed to ** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **