** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

MAY 26  1936

We only got one half ounce out of the 205 buckets from yesterday's dig. We are all somewhat disappointed in the weigh but we will keep going deeper. More gold must still be in this area. Jacob and me are getting the top of the trench hollowed out. The digging is not too bad. We had a black bear cross just north of our dig area this morning. He was a big one but paid us no mind. 

When we took the first load of gravels down to the creek John was still going on about heading up the mountain to look for the hooligans, I told him I didn't think it was safe and if we did find them what would he do? He said he would make them talk by any means needed and get the stolen goods back. I think we are better served by keeping the mine running and standing our watch at night. Anyone trying to rob us will be hard pressed to get our supplies or gold. They know we are armed and will fight. We need to work every day to get as much gold as we can before the creek slows. John seemed to listen to what I had to say. 

We removed 175 buckets of gravel by the end of the day. We got slowed towards the end by some large rock we moved with the bar. That can sometimes indicate a strike. I did a few pans in the tub by the dig but only saw a bit of color so we will see tomorrow when the tom is worked. Jacob is sore all over. His body is adjusting to the constant digging and lifting. We go at it in a steady but sure pace and are relentless in our effort. There has been no trouble with  tresspassers today. 

TO BE CONTINUED ........................

• Like 5

MAY 27  1936

All was quiet last night. Todays gold weigh was light. Almost no gold again. I sent Will up higher on the fault to take buckets for samples. Will is young but a good prospector. I think it is a good idea to test some higher gravels at various levels. He was not successfull in finding color. I am worried that by late June our creek will slow and that will be the end for the tom. Working a cradle then will be very slow compared to the tom. Or maybe we can get a pump. For that reason I have decided to move Will up to the dig site so we can get deeper in the trench at a faster pace. If there is a big strike left here I will find it. Jacob and me dug 160 buckets. We will see what we found by tomorrow morning when the panning is done. 

TO BE CONTINUED .......................

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Anyone who wants to is welcome to make a guess as to what is about to come down as far as Jed's crew & the gang of thugs. It's all coming to a head this weekend. Will they let the law dogs handle it? How would they even contact the law in time from a remote location? Remember, this is 1936. Will they be forced to negotiate with the gang? Will there be a fight or shootout? Or could something else take place? Will John get his wish? Can Jed control John at this point? 

Jed and crew should set a trap for the gang of thugs 🤠

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Jed and crew should set a trap for the gang of thugs 🤠

That would lead to a gun fight.

• Like 1

Just wondering. He keeps talking about how many buckets they processed. Is it possible he actually had that many actual buckets? After all, back in those days buckets were metal, not plastic, that would have been a huge undertaking to get them all to a remote site. Not to even mention the huge cost of that many buckets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Just wondering. He keeps talking about how many buckets they processed. Is it possible he actually had that many actual buckets? After all, back in those days buckets were metal, not plastic, that would have been a huge undertaking to get them all to a remote site. Not to even mention the huge cost of that many buckets.

I’d imagine they are counting buckets as they are pouring them into a bulk transport, ie Ute or truck bed. Not physically owning 200+ buckets

• Like 2

I had thought of that, but he never mentions anything larger than buckets. If he was remote there may not have been any way to get a truck there, or he may not have had a truck; no Ute's in those days. I suppose it will remain a mystery, but the story is good without knowing.

6 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Friday & Saturday are coming. Buckle up.

Jed last entry was MAY 27  1936. That was a Wednesday one more day before the action occurs ..... I'm waiting as well the rest of us members of Steve's forum.   🥺

• Like 2