** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Will still be posting. If a book comes out it will be in the classified where it's supposed to be. Perhaps in the Spring. For now the journal goes on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HotSauce said:

Lets all get back top the Gold business, 🙂 and live by the Golden Rule treat others as you would like to be treated, Kindness. Personally I want to see more gold and stories of the ones who find it. 

No worries. I'll get more transcribed when I have the time.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

No worries. I'll get more transcribed when I have the time.

Yup, I'm hooked...

• Thanks 1

Got up early as usual, got my morning coffee sorted, sat down and made myself comfortable then tuned into my favourite forum for my daily ‘Miners journal’ fix only to find there are no new entries. 😢 Have been throughly enjoying reading these posts every day, a window into a bygone era that is very hard to put down once started. Might have to go back and read yesterdays entries all over again or I’ll go mad!! 😆 

JP

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Got up early as usual, got my morning coffee sorted, sat down and made myself comfortable then tuned into my favourite forum for my daily ‘Miners journal’ fix only to find there are no new entries. 😢 Have been throughly enjoying reading these posts every day, a window into a bygone era that is very hard to put down once started. Might have to go back and read yesterdays entries all over again or I’ll go mad!! 😆 

JP

Hopefully today or tomorrow. Time constraints today. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

This journal is addictive that is for sure. And if you pay close attention you can really learn something about finding glory holes or kettle's as he calls them in ancient buried streams. Most fascinating to me.

Larry Otwell (now passed state of Georgia geologist) taught me that some miners did not realize what happened when a gold vein appeared to vanish or played out. In many cases it was because of a geological fault that can move the hard rock many feet to the left, right or up or down. The trick is to find out which way the fault moved and start drilling into hard rock either up, down or left or right. Not an easy thing to do so they often just went on looking for easier gold deposits in hard rock or  panning in the streams. Digging in ancient stream beds seemed easier.

Some gold deposits in north GA have been found when drilling for wells. What a pleasant surprise.

That was what we were going to do with our map of possible gold deposits in the Dahlonega gold belt. We were going to hire someone to take core samples from the areas that our statistical program indicated were good prospects. We never got that far due to lack of funds. No, I am not looking for investors. But we did have fun with our project and I learned a lot about finding gold and my sons and I had fun back in those days for 2 years.

Our best method was to use the fisher gold bug metal detector to search for lead bird and buck shot in the small streams and branches and process the gravels we dug out in that area. We would get color and some small nuggets about the size of a bb or smaller. enough to cover the bottom of a small vial for about 1/8th of an inch for a days work. Not a lot, but still fun and it was found gold. Of course we were always expecting to find a thumb sized nugget. Looking for gold was cold work in the winter, but rubber gloves up to your elbows helped a lot. The biggest pain in the but was taking a 3" trash pump to the creek sites for sucking out gravels. We finally made a cart with old fashion balloon tire bicycle wheels. But that still did limit us to the  distance we could travel. 

Looking for gold using the fisher gold bug what got me interested in metal detecting after we stopped hunting for gold after two years.

Another fine gentleman that taught me more than a few things about looking for gold was Frank Moon who lived in the Dahlonega/Auraria area. He was a third generation gold miner. He showed me a pickled rattlesnake head that was as big as a man's open hand. And thanks to a nice lady who let us dig for gold on her property that included two gold mines and two gold bearing streams. We were so lucky to get that permission. Permissions are now almost impossible to come by in that area of Georgia now.

• Like 4