** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Just wanted to say thank you to all the readers of Jed's journal. It has been a dream of mine to post his entries on a great website like this. There is much more to come.

It's a fun read GhostMiner - more enjoyable than watching the World News.  

Rich

• Like 4

On 2/17/2022 at 5:39 PM, maxxkatt said:

One think I think we seem (or I) to forget that back then it was a pretty lawless time in those areas. When the word about gold gets out, honest miners are always followed by shopkeepers and robbers, saloons and saloon girls.

Is it any different today? Look at Las Vegas and you will find the same mix of people except the miners are replaced by gamblers. Prospecting for gold like metal detecting is gambling your time for a good payout. Times change and times stay the same.

Yep, nothing but robbers thieves and misfits here in Vegas but we have some fine saloon girls…

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cascade Steven said:

GM: I anxiously await your daily entry and have now become truly addicted to this wonderful story.  Again, thank you for your continued effort.👍👍👍

Thanks for the kind words!

7 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Yep, nothing but robbers thieves and misfits here in Vegas but we have some fine saloon girls…

opps, sorry man. Just a stereo type from the mob days. I apologize. I wish I lived out there in the western desert area so I could use my CTX3030 looking for nuggets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxxkatt said:

opps, sorry man. Just a stereo type from the mob days. I apologize. I wish I lived out there in the western desert area so I could use my CTX3030 looking for nuggets.

Ha, no worries it was funny.

13 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Ha, no worries it was funny.

Saloon girls & honky tonk piano players LOL.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

OK, so it sounds difficult to impossible for the general prospector to identify, unless trained to do so. Thank you, now I don't feel so stupid.

Back to topic.

Ghostminer--hope you don't mind me jumping in here: Jim, in the mountains, it often helps to see a fault by looking at the mountain peak or mountain side to see if there's an obvious sign of slippage, where one part of the mountain dropped slightly or drastically below an adjacent section. As well, there will usually be an area of different (perhaps softer or distorted) rock that assembles between the two sections. Sometimes this can be seen from far away, other times you have to get closer. It also depends on forestation or lack thereof as to how easy or difficult it is to see. If the area has been covered by deep clay deposits left by glaciation, then that's where geological reports would come in handy delineating lengthy, hidden trends as you're not going to see them with the naked eye. I've been lucky to be around geologists in the field to point some of these things out, if not, I'd be at a total loss as well.

All the best buddy,

Lanny

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

JUNE 28  and JUNE 29   1936

Although our bucket counts are dropping the gold weighs are still holding up. This morning we saw another 4 ounces. Will and Jacob have been after me for a night out and I finally gave in. We went up to the dig site and worked until late afternoon and knocked off early with a bucket total of 90. After supper I drove them into town around 7:00 and said I’d be back to get them at 11:00. Town is about half an hour away. When I came back to retrieve them at the tavern they were not there. It seems there had been a brawl and Jacob and Will were in the middle of it. The bartender told me they had got into a fight with several members of a logging crew. It had started over some local laddies it seems. There was some broken bar furnishings and some of them had been taken to jail. So I went down to the jail and talked with one of the deputies. I was able to pay a fine to get them out and we went back to the tavern and paid for all the damage and then some. Then they released them with no further charges. I was not happy. Will had a split lip and Jacob was cut up on the face and had some bruised knuckles. I told them this was why I didn’t want them going into that tavern. It was full of hooligans. I told them that the fines and tavern damages were coming out of their gold count.

We got a bit of a late start in the morning but the weigh revived everyone with a whopper of a pan. There was 9 ounces and mostly all course with nice pieces as well. We were all over the top with the results. Maybe we are getting near the bottom.

About mid morning we resumed our labor at the site. Will and Jacob were not too sharp but kept a decent pace. We are down 10 feet or so and the rounded river rock is plentiful. We ended our day near dusk with 129 buckets.

TO BE CONTINUED ....................

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

Ghostminer--hope you don't mind me jumping in here: Jim, in the mountains, it's often helps to see a fault by looking at the mountain peak or mountain side to see if there's an obvious sign of slippage, where one part of the mountain dropped slightly or drastically below and adjacent section. As well, there will usually be an area of different (perhaps softer or distorted) rock that assembles between the two sections. Sometimes this can be seen from far away, other times you have to get closer. It also depends on forestation or lack thereof as to how easy or difficult it is to see. If the area has been covered by deep clay deposits left by glaciation, then that's where geological reports would come in handy delineating lengthy, hidden trends as you're not going to see them with the naked eye. I've been lucky to be around geologists in the field to point some of these things out, if not, I'd be at a total loss as well.

All the best buddy,

Lanny

That's good information Lanny. Thanks a bunch.

• Like 1