** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

6 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

No mention of it but wouldn't be surprised.

I don't know of any geologist who works for free. The journal never mentions a geologist but the report does. 

• Like 1

JULY 5   1936

The day was hot. We hadn’t seen more than a sprinkle of rain in three weeks. Our creek is no longer running but there is still enough water for the pump. I may have to find a better place to set the pump if the creek dries further. There is an area of good water up to the north and we may need to run several hundred feet of hose down to the tom. 

Today we started stacking the large flatter rocks on one side of the kettle after cleaning them instead of lifting them out with the winch. This will help us make better time with the bucket counts. We will move them to the other side as we dig down and move them as needed. This is a bit of a gamble but I think we are near country and may be ending this hole soon. If I am wrong we may need an entire day or more to move the larger rock out. 

At the end of the day we hauled out 125 buckets by using this stacking method but we can only do it for a short time. We have still not seen country. The test pans were all very rich. 

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 7

Just a note here  :  This is the calm before the storm. Just when things look peaceful ..................

4 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Just a note here  :  This is the calm before the storm. Just when things look peaceful ..................

Let's see...  Whiskey, Big Strike, Scoundrels all around, Lost Gold, Dead Man - kinda saw that coming. 😎

• Like 3

JULY 6   1936

The weighing was finished after breakfast. There was gold everywhere in the tom and when panned we got a whopper. The plinkers and pennyweights are plentiful and are mixed in with the coarse. All told we had 95 ounces to greet our day. I told the crew that if we are still not near a bottom we could end up with much more. This is the glory hole we have all dreamed of for sure.

Up at the dig site we continued to work the same side of the hole while stacking rock on the opposite. We are down over 15 feet on this side. We have very stable side walls and the ground is dry. We did a bit of cross bracing on the north side for safety. Some of the large flat rock is quite heavy and requires two men to move. We got down to 17 feet on the south side of the kettle and then it happened. We struck country. It was near the end of the day and we had 112 buckets. I told the crew to call it a day. If the bedrock is even then we still have the other side of the kettle to work down so we are not finished here. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

• Like 9