** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

25 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Cool, no probs

I just imagined Jed being a grains, pennyweight, ounces sort of guy

Well you are right about Ounces (he got plenty 😀)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pogo said:

Cool, no probs

I just imagined Jed being a grains, pennyweight, ounces sort of guy

He did mention pennyweight as well.

• Like 1

JULY 19   1936

There was only one ounce in the pan and we were all somewhat disappointed. We have all become spoiled from working the rich ground. I do think as we get deeper we may get better results although there is no telling how deep the pay channel goes in that location. At breakfast we saw more groups of prospectors trudging up the mountain to find the big strike. It appears there is a gold rush taking the mountain in full force. Thankfully the target area is 4 miles higher up the creek from us. I think that as the new prospectors find poor results they will work their way lower and eventually get close to our claims. They are fully devoured by the fever and there is no telling what any of these people will do in their pursuit of gold. I wish them good luck but the odds are most likely against them. There will be fights over staking of claims for sure if there is rich ground still to be had. 

Up at our new dig site we threw ourselves into the labor head on and with a vengeance. The gravels were flying into buckets and the picks were clanging against rock. The weather was hot in the afternoon as it had been for some time with temperatures over 100. The whiskey pours out of me in the morning and is replaced by gallons of water in the afternoon. I have grown used to the daily routine that is akin to prison labor although we are all mightily paid. There is little talk with the exception of cursing when rock slows the shovel. Breaks are taken on an hourly basis in this heat and shade is quickly sought out. Today’s dig was worked without incident and with brutal force that ended at dusk with a record 340 buckets.

TO BE CONTINUED ......................

• Like 6

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Well you are right about Ounces (he got plenty 😀)

That's for sure!

19 hours ago, DOOGY-MD said:

You can rent the off-road Mala GPRs now a days too!

I'll have to check into that. Thanks.

340 buckets makes me wonder if he actually had that many buckets, or if they took what they had down to John at the Tom and dumped them on the ground. They certainly couldn't take 340 buckets of material all in one load.

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I'll have to check into that. Thanks.

Pine Environmental Services, rents Mala GPRs out of Ervine California!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Pine Environmental Services, rents Mala GPRs out of Ervine California!

That place is permanently closed according to their website.