** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

52 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

I smell big trouble brewing.

Speaking of big trouble brewing; I have been wondering about the title of this adventure and what it could forecast. I am especially thinking in terms of what we have read so far, and contrasting it with an ending more in line with the title of the journal.

Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine

• Like 3

I will say one thing about Jed's claim - I am starting to think the place is cursed. Lot's of things have happened to people who have worked there. Some of these things will be talked about at the end of the journal or in the book. As far as Jed & crew, I can't divulge anything on that at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, beatup said:

looks like a mountain range war is brewing

Something like that.

• Like 1

Let's have another look at Jed's dig site as it is today. 

WP_20140329_022 (2).jpg

WP_20140330_004.jpg

WP_20140330_003.jpg

WP_20140329_021.jpg

WP_20140329_027.jpg

WP_20140330_005.jpg

• Like 4

I think Jed made a mistake, with the information he was getting from the prospecting groups they met on the way back down the hill he should have considered increasing the size of his crew to meet the threat.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

I think Jed made a mistake, with the information he was getting from the prospecting groups they met on the way back down the hill he should have considered increased the size of his crew to meet the threat.

Yes, you guessed correctly as you will see. Going to get interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

JULY 24   1936

When morning came we helped John wash up the gravels from yesterday and did a quick weigh which was poor and showed just a trace of gold. Last night John said he had a buddy in the Army that he had stayed in contact with since the war. He was a sergeant and now retired on his own farm. John wanted to contact him and bring him on as security. John and me would pay him a wage. So John went into town and contacted him while Jacob and me dug gravels and Will took over John’s job for the morning. When we broke work for lunch John was back at camp. He said his buddy who he called Sarge was more than happy to come up to the mine for a few weeks. He said Sarge would also bring up another friend of his named Ben who had also served in the Great War. We were all agreeable to this and happy to have more help. We were in a position to be able to afford to pay for security now. Sarge and Ben would drive out in Sarge’s truck and would arrive tomorrow. For the remainder of the day we decided to have Jacob and me do the digging and John do the washing with Will standing guard over the camp and wash area. We had to stay on high alert.

Jacob and me worked a hard day and got deeper into the new trench just south of the raised country slab. The digging continued to be fairly easy again and we made a good day of it with 185 buckets. There was no trouble with hooligans so I figure they haven’t seen what happened to their dam and ditch yet. We will be taking our turns on night watch as usual. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 8