** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

This thread is probably the most interesting and fun I have followed on any forum. There are many, many treasure stories  on some other MD forum, but not as good as this one based on a real journal. That makes the difference.

• Like 4

I once read a book from a diary of a swagman on the Vic. Gold fields. Great story but not as much movie like action that this diary has potential for. 

swagman.jpg.bda8d0ef725dd1a6d521957480b6f7fa.jpg 

Pity the Swagman: the Australian odyssey of a Victorian diarist

by Bethan Phillips

A biography of Joseph Jenkins (1818-1896), a Welsh farmer who left his wife and family to try his luck on the Victorian goldfields and remained in Australia for 27 years. Throughout his life Jenkins kept diaries, some of which have been published as 'The diary of a Welsh swagman'. These diaries reflect a complex man and give insight into nineteenth century life in rural Wales. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, geof_junk said:

I once read a book from a diary of a swagman on the Vic. Gold fields. Great story but not as much movie like action that this diary has potential for. 

swagman.jpg.bda8d0ef725dd1a6d521957480b6f7fa.jpg 

Pity the Swagman: the Australian odyssey of a Victorian diarist

by Bethan Phillips

A biography of Joseph Jenkins (1818-1896), a Welsh farmer who left his wife and family to try his luck on the Victorian goldfields and remained in Australia for 27 years. Throughout his life Jenkins kept diaries, some of which have been published as 'The diary of a Welsh swagman'. These diaries reflect a complex man and give insight into nineteenth century life in rural Wales. 

Looks like a good read.

"The Diary of a 49er" and "Bacon and Beans From a Gold Pan" are both really good books.

Bacon and Beans is a depression era book and written based on the true story of a couple last lost their jobs and moved to the hills to mine for gold. Part of the book takes place in the Northern Motherload region near Downieville. It's a very entertaining read.

The Diary of a 49er takes place outside the town of Nevada City and is probably very similar to your journal. Some have suggested that it was not an actual journal and written later. The Diary was supposedly found in a miners cabin.

• Like 4

JULY 30   1936

This morning we were all able to get back to our normal routines. Sarge and Ben took posts near camp and provided security. Jacob, Will, and me went up to the dig site and John worked at the tom. I think the rest from digging helped the crew as everyone was working like crazy. We were digging down and started hitting heavy country rock once again. I panned a few samples but this didn’t prove to be glory material. There was some gold but nothing like what we had seen before. I kept the crew moving south along the fault but we struck country almost immediately and the pans were lacking much color. We attempted to dig into the fault but were quickly stopped out. By now it was mid afternoon and the heat was nearly unbearable. I wanted to stay close to the fault line as it had proven itself to me more than once and I still believed there is much gold to be taken. By day's end we had traveled about 50 feet south of the last trench in our diggings with poor results. About two hours before dark I told the crew to call it a day and we would hit it tomorrow. We were able to get 210 buckets out of the hard labor which was low and I think of poor quality. We will see what John gets from them. 

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 8

6 hours ago, matt said:

"The Diary of a 49er" and "Bacon and Beans From a Gold Pan" are both really good books.

Bacon and Beans is a depression era book and written based on the true story of a couple last lost their jobs and moved to the hills to mine for gold. Part of the book takes place in the Northern Motherload region near Downieville. It's a very entertaining read.

The Diary of a 49er takes place outside the town of Nevada City and is probably very similar to your journal. Some have suggested that it was not an actual journal and written later. The Diary was supposedly found in a miners cabin.

That's interesting. Another good book to read. Thanks.

I forgot to post this info last wk but one of my partners found another drift mine about 700 - 800 west of Jed's dig site on the old Whiskey Jack claim. It's on the other side of the creek (west) and about 100 ft in elevation above the creek.  He found the adit but it looks to be collapsed. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. It would actually be pretty easy to get an excavator up there and dig it out.   

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1