** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

53 minutes ago, D&P-OR said:

I think they (I hope they) leave out of there with Sarge & Ben.-----At least then they would be able to get out of there safely with their gold.

Yes but remember that Jed has said he will mine as long as he can. He started out alone before the others joined him.

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Yes but remember that Jed has said he will mine as long as he can. He started out alone before the others joined him.

I would have certainly left with Sarge & Ben gotten my gold in a safe place. I am sure Jed's share was quite substantial. Sarge and Ben earned their keep big time. Without them Jed would have been run off his claim long ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxxkatt said:

I would have certainly left with Sarge & Ben gotten my gold in a safe place. I am sure Jed's share was quite substantial. Sarge and Ben earned their keep big time. Without them Jed would have been run off his claim long ago. 

But the season is far from over and Jed wants more. Let's see how it plays out from here.

If the crew leaves the mine it would be over run with high graders and worse. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

If the crew leaves the mine it would be run over with high graders and worse.

Some things don't change no matter what the year is...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Some things don't change no matter what the year is...

Ain't it the truth.

AUGUST 30   1936

After breakfast we headed up the mountain and had some rain but it only lasted about 15 minutes. That’s the first rain we’ve seen out here in a long time. I can’t recall the last time. We continue to scrape and clean off the country rock as best we can. I went over to the west wall of the pit and used the pick to loosen gravels there and panned the samples. There was some fine gold and a little coarse so we may be able to widen the pit some if we run out of pay gravel on the bottom. I doubt if there would be a whole bunch of material to work on the sides but it could keep us busy for a while if needed. I am always trying to think of new areas in advance. I’m pretty sure the pit will keep us in pay for the rest of this season. By days end we had done good work and got another 2 ounces.

Down at camp we were talking with Ben and Sarge about everything that had happened since they were here. They would be leaving soon and I hated to see them go. Sarge told me we ought to leave soon after them as he considered this area a dangerous place. I told him the crew was free to leave any time they wanted but I was staying until I got froze out and was actually considering wintering it out here even if by myself. Sarge just shook his head and said he wasn’t sure if that was a good idea but it was none of his business. The nights were already starting to get a little cooler and we were putting on heavy shirts. We sat around the fire contemplating our options.

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Well, the security team is leaving after the last day of August. Can Whiskey Jack handle the security job alone while the crew mines? Hint - he's almost 80 yrs old and drinks way too much whiskey. Maybe that's how he lived that long. September should be an interesting month on the mountain. Remember what was posted a few days ago - September will be a bad month for one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1