** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Truly enjoyed catching up on the story and its accompanying adventures.

Times were still wild and wooly during the 30's it seems, must not have been many civil suits filed for roughing people up or for gunplay, neither must there have been much police activity regarding assaults/people willing to file charges, quite a bit like the Wild West up in those mountains at that time.

Having said that, I've had encounters with some pretty rough types in gold country in the late 20th Century (had a gun swung in my direction as a warning as well, even when we were in no way encroaching on anyone's territory, just posturing and outright intimidation by the offender. There were also sluice box robbers around so the boxes had to be completely cleaned every evening), and it seems like the farther unscrupulous people are away from law enforcement, the more risks they're willing to take. So, not all of the rough stuff has been tamed yet in modern times in the wilds of the goldfields.

Thanks for taking the time to keep entertainment coming, and all the best,

Lanny

Post script: If there's gold that's been shifted around in the area you're testing, you should be able to find anything near the surface with a good gold dedicated VLF, so it would be worth it to have one around, plus they're light enough you can scamper around on hillsides/mountainsides much easier while detecting. But, as has been pointed out, if you're trying to find deeper gold, you'll need a PI or one of the newer hybrids. (I always have a one-two punch when I'm out nugget shooting, a good deep-seeker, and a light VLF as they are both invaluable in their specific roles.) Having said that, as regards nugget shooting, it takes time to learn how to find gold with any detector, so you'll need to get swinging one as soon as you can, and whichever model you buy, get watching some YouTube videos/read some good articles/online posts so you'll know what to do and what to expect (ground balance, hot rocks, EMI, etc.).

All the best, and thanks for your efforts,

Lanny

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Truly enjoyed catching up on the story and its accompanying adventures.

Times were still wild and wooly during the 30's it seems, must not have been many civil suits filed for roughing people up or for gunplay, neither must there have been much police activity regarding assaults/people willing to file charges, quite a bit like the Wild West up in those mountains at that time.

Having said that, I've had encounters with some pretty rough types in gold country in the late 20th Century (had a gun swung in my direction as a warning as well, even we were in no way encroaching on anyone's territory, just posturing and outright intimidation by the offender. There were also sluice box robbers around so the boxes had to be completely cleaned every evening), and it seems like the farther unscrupulous people are away from law enforcement, the more risks they're willing to take. So, not all of the rough stuff has been tamed yet in modern times in the wilds of the goldfields.

Thanks for taking the time to keep entertainment coming, and all the best,

Lanny

Post script: If there's gold that's been shifted around in the area you're testing, you should be able to find anything near the surface with a good gold dedicated VLF, so it would be worth it to have one around, plus they're light enough you can scamper around on hillsides/mountainsides much easier while detecting. But, as has been pointed out, if you're trying to find deeper gold, you'll need a PI or one of the newer hybrids. (I always have a one-two punch when I'm out nugget shooting, a good deep-seeker, and a light VLF as they are both invaluable in their specific roles.) Having said that, as regards nugget shooting, it takes time to learn how to find gold with any detector, so you'll need to get swinging one as soon as you can, and whichever model you buy, get watching some YouTube videos/read some good articles/online posts so you'll know what to do and what to expect (ground balance, hot rocks, EMI, etc.).

All the best, and thanks for your efforts,

Lanny

Thanks much Lanny!

• Like 1

It would be nice to replace Sarge and Ben with some new mine guards. The problem is, it was nearly impossible to find reliable and honest help in that area according to what I have heard. 

• Like 1

SEPTEMBER 1   1936

This morning all of us gathered and had breakfast and afterwards helped Ben and Sarge lode up the last of their gear. We all thanked them for everything they had done and wished them well. We watched them drive off in Sarge’s White truck. Whiskey Jack lightened the mood saying he had our backs now and get up on the mountain and start digging gold while the getting was good. So we left Jack at camp and headed up to the pit. 

Jacob would be working the first two pumps and would be able to help keep an eye out when he was down at the first pump in the creek and check in on Jack now and then as well. Will was working higher up the mountain and was also coming into the pit to dig now and then when he had a chance. The time I worried most about was when we did the cleanout and weighs and Jack would be at camp alone and we were a long way off. I decided I would keep Jacob down there after the pumps were shut down and we would do the final part of the work every day with me, John, and Will. Everyone always had their rifles as well.

The day went fine and with no problems. It was easy digging and the gold was still there. We got ourselves another 2 ounces. We headed back down to camp just before dark. The days were getting shorter. Jack said he’d not seen any sign of anyone besides Jacob all day. He said to just keep working and come October we might see snow and frozen line so make hay while we can. 

After supper Jack and me were talking about mining when the weather got cold. I was wondering if we might keep digging in the eastern drift mine way out to the east. I’d only tested it but hadn’t done any mining there. I told Jack we could haul buckets with the truck down to the creek and work them as long as there wasn't too much snow. Jack said it might be possible but it would be dogs work when the temperatures really dropped below freezing and the snow started to pile up. He said even the old boys pulled out at that point. I told him I was starting to think of wintering it out up here and guarding the claims. Jack said he'd be in for that if I decided to. He said to just make sure we had a good stock of whiskey for when we got snowed in.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

4 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

The size of those waterworn boulders in the first picture…wow.

Some of them are huge.