** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Wow, things sure seem to have slowed down with whiskey Jack, Ben and Sarge gone.

Kinda depressing 😢

21 hours ago, maxxkatt said:

Man a rattlesnake bite to the face? Cannot see many people surviving that. One thing that I watch for carefully in Georgia is Copperheads. I try to remember never put my feet or hands anywhere I cannot see carefully. Snakes blend into their backgrounds and snakes don't always run when you are near them. It is in their nature to stay hidden up to the last moment when they are within striking distance. Only had one close encounter with a Copperhead in my garage. A flat headed shovel separated his head from his body. Out in the wild, I let them alone and move elsewhere. But in my garage is a different matter.

came within 24 inches of stepping on him, was working in my shop and had walked round my truck to come out the door. 4/8/22

20220402_131246.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 5

Today marks 86 years since Jed began mining at his claims.

• Like 5

You know GM, with all the shooting they did on their mine site...you should be able to find plenty of spent cartridges and bullets.  Seems Sarge and team sprayed some lead and there are likely some concentrated areas.  Wasn't he shooting a 30-06 BAR?  Other fella had a Thompson if i recall.  Good chance they may have old military cartridge markings with year of mfg on the base.

If you get the book published, imagine sending along a spent bullet or cartridge case along with every book in say the first 100 or 500...or during signings.  I'm sure there have been a lot more rounds spent up there over the years, and no way to know with absolute certainty if what you found tied to the group...but it would be a rather fun way to promote the book and tie real history to it. 

Metal detectors would easily pick these out if you have a group up there, and they'd be rather shallow in general with the limited growth of plants up there.

Food for thought.....

Zincoln 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

Wow, things sure seem to have slowed down with whiskey Jack, Ben and Sarge gone.

Kinda depressing 😢

Not for long.

• Like 2

It’s amazing the energy those guys, and us as well, get out of a basic staple like beans. I’ve worked real hard, all day long for extended times, but the kind of work these guys did was incredible.

Mike

• Like 4

3 hours ago, delnorter said:

It’s amazing the energy those guys, and us as well, get out of a basic staple like beans. I’ve worked real hard, all day long for extended times, but the kind of work these guys did was incredible.

Mike

A great work ethic and no complaining. Of course, I wouldn't complain either if I was getting the gold they are.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zincoln said:

You know GM, with all the shooting they did on their mine site...you should be able to find plenty of spent cartridges and bullets.  Seems Sarge and team sprayed some lead and there are likely some concentrated areas.  Wasn't he shooting a 30-06 BAR?  Other fella had a Thompson if i recall.  Good chance they may have old military cartridge markings with year of mfg on the base.

If you get the book published, imagine sending along a spent bullet or cartridge case along with every book in say the first 100 or 500...or during signings.  I'm sure there have been a lot more rounds spent up there over the years, and no way to know with absolute certainty if what you found tied to the group...but it would be a rather fun way to promote the book and tie real history to it. 

Metal detectors would easily pick these out if you have a group up there, and they'd be rather shallow in general with the limited growth of plants up there.

Food for thought.....

Zincoln 

Thanks for the ideas.

• Thanks 1