** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

My niece used to work for the Forest Service in the Cascades as a cartographer. State of Washington. It would be nice to meet a whole bunch of you guys out there. If I were a millionair I'd fly you all in to California and we'd have a party at Jed's dig site.

I have a gold claim in the Middle Santiam area and you would be welcome to visit. But I will tell you straightaway that Jed's claim will have a bunch more gold on it lol. Visiting Paxton would be a fun thing to do down the road. Kinda depends on the price of gas etc.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

I have a gold claim in the Middle Santiam area and you would be welcome to visit. But I will tell you straightaway that Jed's claim will have a bunch more gold on it lol. Visiting Paxton would be a fun thing to do down the road. Kinda depends on the price of gas etc.

Where is Middle Santiam?

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Where is Middle Santiam?

Gold Seeker posted the link to the correct area. I would have responded sooner but I was taking a nap. Sorry.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, GhostMiner said:

That sounds like an interesting area. The search is sometimes more fun than the find. Best of luck.

Were there some good gold strikes in that area?

On 4/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, tboykin said:

As someone who works in the entertainment industry, copyright law fights can be as brutal as mining disputes. Before this made into anything that makes money best to contact a copyright attorney to make sure everything is above board.

Done deal.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Were there some good gold strikes in that area?

GM:  Short answer is yes.  The Middle Santiam River is a tributary of the South Santiam River originating high in the Western Cascade Mountain Range of Oregon and flows generally west through the foot hills of the Cascades.  It has several names, including North Fork of the South Santiam River and also as Quartzville Creek, named after the 1860's mining camp called Quartzville.  According to some sources, gold was first discovered on the lower Santiam River as early as the 1840's and what is now known as the Middle Santiam River or Quartzville Creek was worked for placer gold in the early 1860's.  In 1863 the first lode gold mining claim was staked by Jeremiah Driggs and by the mid 1860's there was a mining camp of about 1000 people known as Quartzville.  Because of poor milling practices, and not low grade deposits, the camp was abandoned in the late 1860's.   In the 1890's the area was reactivated by William B. Lawler with financial backing from a British syndicate.  Depending upon which source one reads, there was between $100,000 and 1 million dollars in gold mined from the district at $20.67/oz.  The district is known for both crystalline gold (samples in the California State Mineralogical museum reference library) and also wire gold in the form of "birds nests" or "eagles nests" due to the occurrence of pockets of massive fine wire gold.  This is the district where I am conducting my mining history research.  There are many conflicting stories from this district and facts are sometimes difficult to discern.  Much of the placer gold in the Quartzville area is fine gold,   However, nuggets do occur and I have personally seen gold nuggets 4 to 5 times the size of a wooden match head.   There are also uncorroborated stories of much larger nuggets occurring in the area. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2