** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

SEPTEMBER 26   1936

This morning I was hung over from all of yesterday’s drinking and was not up for work. I figured to rest my hand as well. Later that day after a late breakfast and a cup of whiskey I started to come around. I decided to look for Whiskey Jack’s gold cache. I had several ideas that I won’t put in here but after several hours I was able to find it. There wasn’t a great amount of gold but I had the idea to give it to Hudson as he was facing hard times and our season was getting long in the tooth. Also, Jack had no close relatives or friends that I knew of.

So the boys came back with one ounce of gold for the day and I mentioned it to John and he was all for it as well. So after supper I called Hudson over and gave him Jack’s gold. Hudson got real quiet for a minute and looked me in the eye and shook my hand. He was most thankful and told me so. So we poured some cups and set about drinking well into the evening after the crew had turned in.

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

58 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Used to be a drinker.  I think me and my friends were pert near regulars in the local drunk tank at the city jail.  At least I never waited there very long without someone I knew getting tossed in there too.   Best part of it was breakfast!  Coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.  Just what the doctor ordered for a hang over!   

I can only dream what life might have been like if I hadn't started drinking so early in life.  Now I'm 26 years sober so far and life has been far better sober than it ever was drunk.

I hope Jed can get a handle on it.

HH
Mike

Congratulations Mike!

1 hour ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Used to be a drinker.  I think me and my friends were pert near regulars in the local drunk tank at the city jail.  At least I never waited there very long without someone I knew getting tossed in there too.   Best part of it was breakfast!  Coffee, scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.  Just what the doctor ordered for a hang over!   

I can only dream what life might have been like if I hadn't started drinking so early in life.  Now I'm 26 years sober so far and life has been far better sober than it ever was drunk.

I hope Jed can get a handle on it.

HH
Mike

Or somebody will get a handle on it for him.

• Like 1

The journal has a week to go until the ending of season one. It ain't pretty.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 2

SEPTEMBER 27   1936

I was up bright and early this morning and my hand felt pretty good. I worked with John and Hudson but took it easy. I decided not to push things and knocked off work a little early and headed back down to camp. My hand was a little sore but not as bad as before. I stoked the campfire and poured myself a full cup of whiskey and thought about all the events of the mining season. It seemed like a dream. We have not had any freezing nights yet but it may happen any time. If our water lines freeze we will be shut down. Also, where we are working we have no way to get our gravels down to the creek efficiently. I will probably send the crew home when the time comes but I have decided to winter it out here. I’ll need a big stock of supplies and cut firewood in the likely event I get snowed in. I’m going to need to get started on that soon and also have a talk with the crew. Today we got 2 ounces of gold and the pit is nearly half worked.

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SEPTEMBER 28   1936

This morning was the coldest since I started out here in April. There was a little ice in the water container and Will and Jacob went up the mountain to check the lines. They were ok and one good thing is a good part of the water line gets morning and afternoon sun. We’ll have to see how this plays out. We all talked about the short season that remained while we ate breakfast. I told the crew it would be great to finish up the pit before we get froze out. Everyone was all for that, especially Hudson who was starved for gold and wanted more. I informed them that I had decided to winter it out here and asked them if they were up for a second season. To my surprise everyone said yes. Jacob said he wished he could stay the winter with me but had other obligations to fulfill. Everyone else was anxious to head back to their homes and a warm bed. The crew tried to talk me out of staying out here alone but I assured them I would be fine.

Once our talk was over we all resumed our work. Dutch had been doing a good job for us and he was coming back for next season as well. The pumps were humming along and the water gushed into the tom. John, Hudson, and me shoveled away without a care in the world. I figured if everything went well we had a good chance to finish what was left in the pit. With three men working we were moving a fair amount of gravel. The days were shorter and much cooler so we all started picking up the pace just a bit with a common goal of getting the last of the gold the old boys had left us. The end of the day’s weigh came up to 3 ounces. We need to keep that pace.

TO BE CONTINUED ........................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

SEPTEMBER 29   1936

I got up early this morning before any of the crew. I had decided to myself last night to move my gold out of here in case hooligans overrun us and find it. I don’t trust anyone when it comes to gold. I took my cache and took it miles from the claims where no one would ever look. I dug out under a large boulder and carefully placed the earth back and covered any evidence with pine spill and slash leaving no sign. It is nearly an hour drive from camp. I placed an indiscriminate marking on the east side of the boulder. The site  is remote. On the way back I stopped in town for some goods. Even the crew did not know what I did as I told them I had gone into town for a few supplies.  

I was now feeling better about my gold’s safety and if I ever needed some I could go get it. Here on the claims I only carry a small amount which is always on my person. If I am robbed the thieves will not get much. I didn't even tell Jacob. We all got a bit of a late start but worked in the pit until nearly dark. We got another 2 ounces. 

TO BE CONTINUED .......................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

"I got up early this morning before any of the crew. I had decided to myself last night to move my gold out of here in case hooligans overrun us and find it. I don’t trust anyone when it comes to gold. I took my cache and took it miles from the claims where no one would ever look.."

When it comes to gold it is hard to even trust yourself. 😄

• Like 2