** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

The saga comes to an end this Saturday. Just a few more days to go.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

I've lost about half the viewers but many thanks to the ones who are still here. Social media is an interesting place indeed.

• Like 7

New readers will be reading this story for years. And, probably re-reading it. Thanks for taking the time to post this Ghost Miner.

I know you said it was based on a true gold strike. And the amounts are as close as you can determine from some info you have. That's what makes this interesting. I can imagine myself there and visualize the action and the GOLD. Good stuff Maynard.

Still, the scale of the strike and what is done by hand is incredible. It keeps the gold dream alive. Like someone already mentioned. A good read to psyche up for the season! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

New readers will be reading this story for years. And, probably re-reading it. Thanks for taking the time to post this Ghost Miner.

I know you said it was based on a true gold strike. And the amounts are as close as you can determine from some info you have. That's what makes this interesting. I can imagine myself there and visualize the action and the GOLD. Good stuff Maynard.

Still, the scale of the strike and what is done by hand is incredible. It keeps the gold dream alive. Like someone already mentioned. A good read to psyche up for the season! 

Many thanks. After the ending I will be giving some info on the real strike and how it happened. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

SEPTEMBER 30   1936

We had some frozen water at the camp this morning. Jacob and Will went out and checked the water pumps and lines and they were frozen in a few places. We stoked the campfire and made breakfast while we watched the sun slowly climb above the pines. By mid morning the sun had warmed the camp a bit and the water lines were thawed enough to start the pumps up. There was a little delay in the pressure as what ice was left cleared and by late morning we were mining. The gravels in the northern end of the pit seem to hold less gold. I have panned multiple samples and the gold is finer and in less quantity as far as I can tell. We shoveled away and tried to make hay before dusk. At the end of it all we only had an ounce but it was better than no gold.

We sat around the fire tonight and talked about the cold weather. The temperatures were now dropping below freezing overnight but the days warmed enough to thaw the water. It took some time and our work days were down to washing gravel for maybe 6 hours and that included the gold cleaning. Production would no doubt fall. Then we talked about possible retaliation by hooligans. We had made lots of enemies and we always had to watch our backs. Dutch assured us he had us covered but it is hard if not impossible for one man to guard so much area. I told the crew that they should start thinking about ending our season soon. I am trying to finish the pit before everyone leaves but it may not be possible. Time will tell. Tonight the stars are shining and the temperature is below freezing as I sit in my tent with the stove going and a cup of whiskey to put me to sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

OCTOBER 2   1936 

I woke up kind of early and crawled out of my sleeping bag and out of my tent to find about 2 inches of fresh snow. I checked the thermometer and it read 26 degrees. To top it off the wind was starting to blow and more snow was falling. I let out a few curse words and went back into my tent. We wouldn’t be mining today. John came into my tent after a while and we talked over the situation. I said we should ride it out for a day or two and see what the weather does. Dutch came over and said the road going out of here was not too good and if we got much more snow we might be snowed in for a spell. I just shrugged it off and told him we all had supplies and we’ll ride it out. In the back of my mind I was thinking this might be it.

TO BE CONTINUED ....................

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

For those of you who are still following the journal. There are two more days to go.

• Like 9

Tried to send you guys a video from my chrome book but the site won't let me post it. Not the correct file or something.