** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

OCTOBER 3   1936

Last night was cold with more snow. I stoked my tent stove and the crew came inside with their camp chairs. I poured some cups of whiskey for everyone and we had ourselves a pow wow. There was a good 6 inches of snow and it was still coming down. I told the crew we were most likely  snowed in and would have to wait it out. I told them I was calling the end to the mining season. They all understood and knew that even if we got better weather the nights were getting too cold for the water lines and pumps and any actual gravel washing time would be more trouble than it was worth.

Dutch and Hudson felt bad because they hadn’t been with us long. I told them that everyone in my tent would be welcome back for the next season and I figured to start in mid April. I reminded them that Whiskey Jack had told me and John that the eastern drift mine as well as that entire area held promise for good gold. I also told them that we had the pit to finish and I still wasn’t done exploring the fault line. There were lots of possibilities for us out here. Maybe we’d even run two crews. 

We all sat around crammed together in my tent like a big family and got drunk. We talked about all the trouble we’d had with hooligans and we talked about Whiskey Jack. Everyone was talking about what they would do when they got back home. I told them they'd have to figure a way to get out of here first.

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

I will announce the winner of the person who guessed the gold total for the 1936 season. That will be on Saturday. 

Seems like you could go back through each post and add it up.

2 minutes ago, Carolina said:

Seems like you could go back through each post and add it up.

If you are so inclined to do so LOL. 

OCTOBER 4   1936

I got up this morning about daybreak. The sun was coming up and the snow had stopped. There was probably a good 8 inches. Everything was froze and the thermometer read 26 degrees. I figured some of it would start  melting in the afternoon if the sun stayed out. I went out and got the campfire  going and set about cooking bacon and beans and making coffee. It sure smelled good and within 15 minutes the entire crew was sitting around the fire throwing some extras on a pan. We all ate good and watched the sun rise over the mine. It sure was a pretty sight.

By early afternoon the temperature had got up to about 40 degrees and the snow was melting. I told the crew to hold off on getting the pumps as it was pretty slippery up on the mountain. We needed to drain the water lines once they thawed and bring the pumps down to camp where they would  be stored for winter. Everyone set about gathering loose items up and packing them for when the time came to leave. We just mostly sat and talked mining for the rest of the day and everyone turned in early.

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

One last drink for Jed.

One more day.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

It has been an honor and my pleasure to bring this story to you. With that being said, let's take this to the conclusion today. May your pans be heavy  --  G.M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4