** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

It is also interesting that this happened as soon as the crew left. Perhaps they were watching & waiting?

Are you referring to someone in the crew or a hooligan?

I doubt that every bit of conversation about gold was recorded in the journal. We can safely assume that.

We know the crew was concerned for Jed's safety. At the very end Jed may have told them not to worry about him and that he had his gold stashed miles away. He may even have said that the very next day after everyone leaves he is going to drive up and check on his gold. If he had a back stabbing crew member that was intent on robbing him then Jed may have let on too much about going to check on the gold. Then figure that Hudson and the other guy's eyes about pop out of their head when they are told how much gold the crew had total. For sure a few hundred ounces was Jed's. It may have been more than a honest crew member could handle.

It seems odd how fast the robber moved in. Word must have traveled very fast after the crew left, if it was one of the hooligans. For sure Jed had made lots of enemies up there!

But I can't understand Jed's thinking that he could make it alone all winter. Not even a good dog to bark and warn him about someone sneaking around. If Jed was woken up in his tent with a rifle stuck in his face then a dog would very likely have prevented that.

But the loneliness and the snow and the hooligans how in the world did he think he could handle that in a camp tent? Kinda crazy IMO.

Should have taken that gold and wintered out in the company of a good woman and stay away from the whiskey for awhile lol. Play it smarter.

Of course I'm one to talk lol...

• Like 2

Writing of any sort is hard work. Writing historically accurately adds to the difficulty.
You obviously put a lot of time and thought into your journal and hooked a bunch of us.

thanks...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

I doubt that every bit of conversation about gold was recorded in the journal. We can safely assume that.

We know the crew was concerned for Jed's safety. At the very end Jed may have told them not to worry about him and that he had his gold stashed miles away. He may even have said that the very next day after everyone leaves he is going to drive up and check on his gold. If he had a back stabbing crew member that was intent on robbing him then Jed may have let on too much about going to check on the gold. Then figure that Hudson and the other guy's eyes about pop out of their head when they are told how much gold the crew had total. For sure a few hundred ounces was Jed's. It may have been more than a honest crew member could handle.

It seems odd how fast the robber moved in. Word must have traveled very fast after the crew left, if it was one of the hooligans. For sure Jed had made lots of enemies up there!

But I can't understand Jed's thinking that he could make it alone all winter. Not even a good dog to bark and warn him about someone sneaking around. If Jed was woken up in his tent with a rifle stuck in his face then a dog would very likely have prevented that.

But the loneliness and the snow and the hooligans how in the world did he think he could handle that in a camp tent? Kinda crazy IMO.

Should have taken that gold and wintered out in the company of a good woman and stay away from the whiskey for awhile lol. Play it smarter.

What in the world was he thinking?! Jed must have never spent time in the Mountains in winter. And, like you said, a barking dog does a great job for early warning and even makes bears and critters scatter quick! Heck, I'd have at least 2 dogs. 

Maybe he didn't trust everone on the crew and only said he was staying so he would be the last one out. Then, with everyone gone, he could go get his gold and split. 

Someone must have somehow followed him. I think he said the gold wasn't far off the road. Maybe he parked his car on the roadside and was found? I guess we'll never know!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

I was referring to hooligans. My wife and I were talking about this journal last night over a glass of wine. I told her it suddenly struck me as similar to the movie Easy Rider. Jed had worked hard for his wealth. Captain America (Peter Fonda) sold drugs to get his money. They both became independently wealthy and quit society. Not long after they did this they were murdered, both by people with guns. Maybe Jed should have bought a Harley and headed for warmer weather.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Writing of any sort is hard work. Writing historically accurately adds to the difficulty.
You obviously put a lot of time and thought into your journal and hooked a bunch of us.

thanks...

Thank you. What I had when I started this was the government report where several pages were devoted to the miner and his gold strike. I had no idea where I would take it and there was no outline. I put myself in the place of the miner and how things might have happened. I would just wait for the next journal entry idea to pop into my head. It was a day to day thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I left a lot of room for speculation about who killed Jed and what season two will be like. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NWPROSP said:

Thank you GM for a fantastic ride.  Wish you all the best.  Looking forward to a new story.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

Thank you. What I had when I started this was the government report where several pages were devoted to the miner and his gold strike. I had no idea where I would take it and there was no outline. I put myself in the place of the miner and how things might have happened. I would just wait for the next journal entry idea to pop into my head. It was a day to day thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I left a lot of room for speculation about who killed Jed and what season two will be like. 

You did a great job Ghost Miner 👍.

• Thanks 1

Great job G M, Thanks for all the work you did in creating a wonderful adventure.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeT said:

Great job G M, Thanks for all the work you did in creating a wonderful adventure.

Mike

Thanks. Just got back from a long run. It's nice to read all the great comments. Now you can read the book uninterrupted.