** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

April 11   1937   Part Six

When we got to the cabin we took out a flashlight and helped Slugger walk us to the place where he said the gold was buried. It was there. I asked him how much of it was left. He told me nearly all of it. He had only spent maybe ten percent or so. It was in a steel container and we took it back to the truck. We put Slugger in the cab between us and I drove. On the way back to camp John worked him over some more. He was nearly unconscious when we drove into camp. I told the crew we had recovered most of the gold. We tied up the two goons and threw them in the back of the truck. I told everyone to watch the informant and make sure he didn’t leave and be on high alert. I said that John and I had some business to attend to. I drove and John stayed in the back of the truck with the two tied up goons. We were taking them to the place where they had committed the murder of my brother. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. That’s what it says. 

When we got to the place Jed was robbed and killed I pulled the truck over and we  dragged the two thieves to the scene of the crime. It was still dark so I shined a flashlight where they had found Jed. I told them to take a good look at the place they murdered my brother. They were begging us to turn them over to the law. I told them that was too good for them. They were both crying for mercy. We stood them up against a big rock and pulled our pistols. I asked them which one wanted it first. There was no answer.

TO BE CONTINUED ......................

I was hoping they would find out how they snuck up on Jed at his gold hiding spot. Please ask before you blow their heads off.

• Like 1

April 11   1937   Part Seven

I wanted to know how they knew where the gold was hidden. I told them to talk. Jim said they had been secretly watching Jed’s camp after the crew left. They had followed him to the area and waited to see what he did. They had figured that at some point he would go to his gold either at camp or somewhere else. They got lucky the day they followed him. Jim said he didn’t want to kill Jed but Slugger said he didn’t want to take the chance of getting caught and dead men tell no tales. He said Slugger shot Jed in the back of the head. My brother never knew they were there. Jim told us that Slugger had murdered several people in the mountains for gold and money. Slugger hung his head and refused to look at me. John and I stepped away and had a talk. I told him that there were other families and friend who had lost loved ones to these guys and it was up to us or the law to solve the murder cases. I had no time to hold these goons and play detective. I also told John that if we kill them we could someday face charges. As bad as I wanted them dead I couldn’t do it now. John thought it over and agreed with me. We decided to turn them over to the law. We took them back to camp and told the crew what we had decided. We got the informant and John and I took all three over to the sheriff's office. It was daylight now.

When we took them in the law dogs looked at us in amazement. They asked us what the hell had happened to these guys. They were a mess. I told them everything we had learned and also introduced them to the witness who overheard them talking in the tavern. I lied and said they had put up a long fight and we had to do what we did to them. They took our information and said they would be in contact. Both of the goons were heading to the hospital before going to jail and trial. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1

58 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

Yep, If they had killed them, someone would eventually find out. Placerville CA is called Hangtown. They didn't take to kindly to those types back then.

Yikes !!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

1422925764_PlacervilleCalifHangtown.jpg.41a1c67136f46bcfe13eb7e2e317af41.jpg

Is that someone you know LOL?

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, geof_junk said:

How much gold was recovered.

Most of Jed's cut less 10 or 15% so maybe over 400 ounces I think. 

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

April 12   1937

This is a sad day for me. It marks the one year anniversary of when my brother started mining here. Normally it would have been a day of celebration but instead it is quite somber. In honor of my brother we are taking the day off and will have hoover stew, beans, hot water cornbread, and Bushmills whiskey for supper. These were Jed’s favorites. There will be two empty chairs near the campfire circle for the entire season. One for Jed and one for Whiskey Jack. I am betting that they are digging gold somewhere up above and talking about mining and prospecting around a fire every night with their cups filled with whiskey. The weather today matches my mood, cold and some light rain off and on. I just don’t feel like doing anything.

TO BE CONTINUED .......................

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1