** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Now the question becomes will this group of jewelry & gold buyers be content to just laeave with the treasure or will they try to get their money back first. Jacob & crew may have a few surprises coming as well. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Now the question becomes will this group...... 

...........of prospectors continue mining the same way with all that cash, I see an increase in equipment and mining activity coming soon.

7 hours ago, geof_junk said:

...........of prospectors continue mining the same way with all that cash, I see an increase in equipment and mining activity coming soon.

Interesting.

May 30   1937     Part One

When we got back to camp we showed the money to Will and Hudson. I think they nearly passed out. Then we all set about moving the small, temporary camp back down south to our main camp where the tom was. By the time we got everything back to somewhat normal it was time for supper. Actually it was past supper time. So I made up bacon and beans and a quick batch of hot water corn bread. By the time we ate it was past dark and we stoked a nice fire and broke out the whisky and Lucky’s. We ate good and drank better. We had hidden the money but good and we would divide up what we had kept for ourselves of the treasure and the money tomorrow. 

We celebrated our good fortune. We drank to Jed. We drank to our bravery. We drank to the treasure. We drank to the briefcases full of money. And on and on it went until it hit me. I told the crew we had forgotten something. Everyone just looked at me with a puzzled look on their faces. I told them there was still one more thing left to do. John looked at me and asked me what the hell I was talking about. So I began telling the crew what we needed to do in the morning.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 30   1937     Part Two

The crew sat in silence as I spoke. I reminded them of how this treasure hunt began. It had started when we were exploring and working the old eastern drift mine area. We had dug into the mountain and timbered. Then we found the first skeleton and map. I told the crew that every time we had dug up a skeleton we had found treasure just below.

John let out a big laugh and exclaimed loudly that we may not be done with the treasure hunt. I looked at him and just said “exactly.” I said we needed to get a digging crew out there in the morning and go back to our freshly excavated tunnel. We had left the skeleton in its resting place. We needed to move it out and dig to see if there was treasure.

To my surprise, the crew wanted to start right there and then. It was nearly midnight and we were all half drunk but we decided to go out there. I took John and Ben in my truck. The rest of the crew stayed at camp on watch for hooligans. Ben would act as a guard while John and I dug. We took a couple of bottles of Bushmills with us to keep us warm on the cold night.

When we pulled up to the dig site I shined the truck’s headlamps into the open drift. It was a bit foggy and the air was still. Ben stayed outside the tunnel with his Thompson while John and I took in our picks and shovels as well as two lanterns and a bottle of whiskey. We got back in there a ways and there was the skeleton laying there. It was creepy as all hell and we both took a swig of booze. My skin was crawling as we picked up the bones and moved them out of the way. Then we went to work.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 30   1937     Part Three

We started digging and John was saying we were sure to find more treasure. There was only one way to find out. After about half an hour we took a short break and suddenly Ben hollered into the tunnel for us to come out. When we came out Ben was all upset and pointing his Thompson up above us towards the mountain. He said there was something moving up there and he wasn’t sure what it was. John and I always carried our rifles out here so we had them at the ready. We shined flashlights around that area but saw nothing. Ben said he was sure that something or someone was up there.

Ben said the tunnel and skeleton inside gave him the creeps. I told him that I felt the same way. John just laughed and told us to take a swig of whisky and calm our nerves. I told Ben to keep a good watch and we were going back in to dig.

When we got back inside and started digging again the fog seemed to be coming into the tunnel from outside. It was like a really thick mist and I couldn’t see hardly anything. I tried setting the lantern closer but it didn’t seem to help. Even John was getting a little skittish. I hollered out to Ben to make sure things were ok but there was no answer. John and I eased out of there and didn’t see Ben. He should have been right at the entrance. John called out his name but got no answer. Then we saw it. His Thompson was lying on the ground. Ben would never leave that gun laying like there like that. Something must have happened to him. Something bad. John and I clutched our rifles and stood back to back trying to see through the thick fog. I had a real bad feeling come over me and remembered what the Indian Shaman had told us.

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 30   1937     Part Four

We were nearly a mile from camp and couldn’t see ten feet in any direction. It was stone quiet. John said the best thing to do was to go back inside the tunnel and wait out the weather. He said standing out here in the open unable to see what was out there in the mist was a bad idea. So we went back inside taking the Thompson with us. The skeleton was over against the wall of the drift and I tried not to think about it. We were both really worried about Ben but helpless to do anything.

We kept our rifles pointed towards the opening and the lanterns shined a faint glow but we still couldn’t see much of anything. Finally, after about an hour, the mist began to fade away and we could see the opening again. We ventured out cautiously. It was still quiet, not a sound. We both called out for Ben but there was no answer. We decided to go back to camp and organize a search party. Ben could be anywhere in these mountains but we had a feeling he wouldn’t be too far from the drift.

When we got back to camp everyone was waiting to see if we found treasure. We told the crew what had happened and they were all stunned. They said the weather had been crystal clear at camp the entire time we were gone. Sarge grabbed his BAR and said let’s go. We left Will and Hudson at camp and Sarge, John, and I got in my truck and headed for the dig site. We were determined to find Ben.

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Just a note on how the journal gets written : Some readers may think that I have a complete series or season written and I post a little of it every day or so. That is not the case. When I feel like writing I sit down and write on Google Docs so it is saved. When I write I really have no idea what I will write until I write it. Nothing is pre planned or outlined. It is like I am reading the story just like the readers are except I get to read it first. The story just comes as it will without much thought process from my part. I liken it to a guitar player who is in a jam session. He doesn't know where it is going but just lets his mind and fingers do the talking. Sometimes he paints himself into a musical corner and has to work his way out. Exactly how I feel with this story sometimes. This is what makes it so much fun for me to write it. I have no clue what will happen or how this will end. Thanks to all you readers out there and hang in there with me as this journal continues to unfold. Cheers, GM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Just a note on how the journal gets written : Some readers may think that I have a complete series or season written and I post a little of it every day or so. That is not the case. When I feel like writing I sit down and write on Google Docs so it is saved. When I write I really have no idea what I will write until I write it. Nothing is pre planned or outlined. It is like I am reading the story just like the readers are except I get to read it first. The story just comes as it will without much thought process from my part. I liken it to a guitar player who is in a jam session. He doesn't know where it is going but just lets his mind and fingers do the talking. Sometimes he paints himself into a musical corner and has to work his way out. Exactly how I feel with this story sometimes. This is what makes it so much fun for me to write it. I have no clue what will happen or how this will end. Thanks to all you readers out there and hang in there with me as this journal continues to unfold. Cheers, GM.

I thought it might be nice for readers to know the process I use to write. It's called "seat of the pants" LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1