** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

51 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

A mistake letting another thug go free.

D4G

Yea, the boys are getting pretty cocky. Don't forget what the shaman told them. 

• Like 1

June 12   1937

When we weighed the gold this morning we had two ounces which even surprised me seeing as we had only dug 65 buckets. The crew is ready for more gold but we all know that people from as far as Mexico know about us. We have become somewhat of a legend out here. When Hudson and I got up to the dig site and unloaded the empty buckets off the truck Will came walking up to the site. He said we had a visitor and gave me a grin. We drove back to camp and standing there wearing a big smile was Sarge. I was surprised to say the least. He said he was back to stay for the season. Sarge told us that Ben was in jail. He had got arrested in his home town after a bar fight. Evidently he had gotten into a brawl over a card game and pulled his 45 on several guys and shot one of them. Sarge said he tried to go and get him out but they wouldn’t post bond so he was there until a trial. Ben had turned killer while he was out here and he liked it. Sarge said there wasn’t much we could do right now but he had gotten him a real good lawyer. We all felt bad and hoped for the best for Ben.

Sarge got settled in and we put him on the southern watch post like before and Will went back up to his post outside of the dig site. I felt a lot better knowing we had two guards again. Will and Hudson can rotate every other day on guard duty and working the dig site. We had a good day and brought John 175 buckets of pay gravels to wash.

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

June 13   1937

The gravels are very rich as we cut into the mountain. We are able to get about ten to fifteen feet in with a drift before the risk of collapse. Then we just move laterally and go in again. Our pan held an amazing four ounces from the 175 buckets. 

At breakfast we were visited by the deputy that wanted to work security for us. We told him we hadn’t made any decisions on that yet. He also informed us that the enforcer had made it back into town. Evidently someone had given him a ride when he was walking down the road. The deputy hadn’t talked with him but said the guy was running his mouth in town and talking about us. He hadn’t made any direct threats but he warned us to be on guard. I thanked him and told him we would watch our backs. Then I gave him $10 for the information which he happily accepted. I told him to keep us informed if there was any more information on this guy. He said he would and left our camp to return to town. John said we might have to get rid of this guy permanently. I agreed. We decided to talk more about it after supper.

With that we all went to work mining gold and guarding camp. Will went up to the digsite with me while Hudson stood watch. We were back into the hill about twelve feet and hitting lots of rounded river rock which slowed the digging. I did a quick test pan and it was loaded with coarse gold and some fines as well. It was beyond rich now. We worked hard and moved the larger rocks by hand. We cleaned them as we moved them as well. By dusk we had only gotten 120 buckets and it was hard fought for but judging by the test pans I think the weigh tomorrow morning will be a good one. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

7 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

I just have to say this. The thug may not be too smart but he probably isn't any dummer than the gold mining crew lol.

Hey Bedrocker - don't insult the crew LOL.

No, the crew are pretty smart but they have stuffed up letting two thugs off the hook. That last thug has survived the desert. He knows how many are in the crew & he knows the fire power they have. He would have no problem going back to his gang in Mexico & have them gear up for an assault on the crew & totally annihilate them & rob them of there gold & treasure. The thug not being too smart shouting off his mouth in town & now with the deputy informing the crew. Still, the crew should be worried & they are.

D4G

• Like 2