** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

June 29   1937     Part Three

My theory was that either one or both deputies had planned out a scheme to take over our mine. They had disposed of the rest of the Mexican gang as well as the sheriff and judge. Then they got rid of half the crew. There were only two people left standing in their way, John and I.

We took my car into town and parked on the street in front of the sheriff station. Deputy Luther was inside when John and I walked in. He greeted us with a smile and asked what he could do for us. I told him that we wanted to give both he and Dan a big gold bonus in return for speeding up the investigation about the disappearance of Will and Hudson. He was beaming from ear to ear. I told him to bring Dan out to our camp tonight around sunset and we’d have their gold ready and discuss a plan to find our partners. Luther said they would be out there for sure. He was pretty excited about a gold bonus and suspected nothing.

John and I shook hands with him and we headed back to camp. John said it was all he could do to restrain himself from smashing the deputies face in. I told John that he could do that later, after we gave them their bonus. The deputies didn’t know it, but the bonus would be their lives for information as to where Will and Hudson were hidden. Once we got our partners back, we would deal with the corrupt law dogs permanently.   

TO BE CONTINUED ....................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

June 29   1937     Part Four

We didn’t do any mining today. The season was moving along and we had a big deposit to work but now we were short handed and unable to guard camp. There was an endless supply of rif raf out here that kept us distracted. John and I cleaned up some gravels that we hadn’t worked and we actually got an ounce out of them. They were the rich materials that had been left sitting in the bottom of the hopper. 

We put some sand and gravel into two small pouches and tied them up good. This would be the deputy's bonus. Then we had a good supper and stoked up the campfire just as the sun was setting. Sure enough, the deputies showed up as the night was setting in. I gave them each a small cup of whisky and set the fake gold pouches down on a log near the fire. They both took seats opposite to where John and I were. They were eyeing the pouches with pleasure. I noticed they were both carrying their sidearms. 

No sooner had they taken a seat and started to relax John and I stood up quickly with our 45’s pointing at them. They looked shocked and asked what was up. I told them to take their revolvers out of their holsters with their left hands and drop them on the ground. John now had his Thompson trained on them. They knew that if they made any moves they would be cut to ribbons.

TO BE CONTINUED ............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, dig4gold said:

The weight of the pouches would give them away.

D4G

Yes, unless they put some heavy rocks in there lol. I think it was just for show until they confronted them.

7 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Yes, unless they put some heavy rocks in there lol. I think it was just for show until they confronted them.

Yes, maybe. But the weight of gold to size ratio is the give away to any body familiar with gold. Even compared to the weight of lead, gold is close to twice the weight. Gold being something like 19 grams a cubic centimeter & lead about 11 grams a cubic centimeter. Bit of a fun fact but quite mind boggling.

Happy New Year.

D4G

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Yes, maybe. But the weight of gold to size ratio is the give away to any body familiar with gold. Even compared to the weight of lead, gold is close to twice the weight. Gold being something like 19 grams a cubic centimeter & lead about 11 grams a cubic centimeter. Bit of a fun fact but quite mind boggling.

Happy New Year.

D4G

Happy New Year.

• Like 1

June 29   1937     Part Five

I took the deputies' guns and tossed them into my tent. Then I began questioning them. Luther did not want to talk but Dan was more than willing. He said he had nothing to do with our partners disappearance and had already started an investigation. We turned our attention to Luther who had clammed up. Then he said he had nothing to do with Will and Hudson disappearing. Just by the way Dan had reacted I was leaning towards believing him but not Luther.

John told them that he was ready to beat the truth out of them. There was little reaction. I gave a nod to John and told Luther to stand up which he did. John walked up to him and told him he wanted the truth and he wanted it now. There was no reaction from Luther. John backhanded the deputy across the face and told him to talk. He refused. Then John brought down a thunderous right hand which landed on the side of Luther’s face. He went down to his knees. Once again John told him to tell the truth or there would be more to come. 

John reached down and grabbed Luther’s shirt and pulled him back onto his feet. The deputy was beginning to shake. Then John drilled his fist into Luther’s stomach and the deputy let out a sick groan and collapsed on the ground. Dan was watching this without saying a word. I grabbed a rope and threw it over a tree limb. I told Luther we would hang him unless he talked. He still refused to say a word.

I made a quick noose while John got him to his feet again. I placed it around his neck and pulled it tight. John tied his hands behind his back and we began to pull him up. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Happy New Year.

D4G

Or over 10 ounces to a cubit inch, and that is Troy Ounces.