** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Then there was one more story I heard that supposedly took place in 2012. This came from what I would consider a very credible witness who claims to have seen some of the gold. The area was just off my claims at the southern end of the mountain. According to the witness who was not involved in any way with mining or treasure hunting, a crew had dug up a cache of 50 ounces. The funny thing is, I was actually there talking with this crew several times. They were digging areas at the base of the mountain with an excavator and also using metal detectors. They were out of Nevada and had been hired by the claim owner to do some prospecting to see if the claim had any good gravels to mine. At least that's what they told me.

The crew looked pretty rough. The first time I met them I walked into camp unannounced and was met by two big dogs who they called off. They were sitting at a wooden table drinking whisky and smoking dope. I told them I was the claim owner of all the adjoining areas to their claim. They were all wearing guns and told me it was a good thing I told them and now that they knew I was up there on the mountain they would shoot their guns the other way. They lent me one of their detectors which was a Fisher Gold Bug. It was the only time I ever used one. It was darn friendly of them as they didn't even know me. 

Eventually I returned the detector with a new battery to boot and thanked them. A week later I went down to their camp but they had packed it up and were gone. Later on, I was talking with a guy who knew these guys. He said I was real lucky they took a liking to me or I would have had my throat slit. For real. This is the kind of crazy stuff that happens out there. One night while camped up near one of the old dig sites by myself I awoke to gunfire at around 2:00 AM. It was a ways off and lasted for at least 15 - 20 minutes and there was a lot of it. I have no idea what was going on.  

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 2

April 29   2002     Part One

This morning we got a bit deeper into the drift and hit a rocky area that we couldn’t penetrate. Jacob said it was some kind of a very unusual fault line  that was running east/west and highly unusual. We all took turns swinging a pickaxe against the wall of rock but couldn’t make any headway. Jacob advised we move out of the drift and start a dig a bit to the west. It was disappointing as we had seen signs of gold before we came to the dead end. Jacob thought the area might have been mined out in that area by the people who ran him off in 1937. 

When he started thinking about that night he became agitated to say the least. He told us that he still had nightmares about it. He now wished he had tried to find out who the gang was and shot it out with them even if it meant dying. I tried to get his mind off the subject and asked him where a good spot might be to start digging again. We had a look around and ended up moving about 300 feet west. 

The base of the mountain looked about the same and we started a new site. Jacob said we would need to keep prospecting this area until we found a good place that hadn’t been worked. He figured there was gold all along the base of the mountain up there and it ran for half a mile. I was thinking to myself that we might be up here all Summer trying to find a place to mine. This might be harder than I had thought. 

TO BE CONTINUED .............

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

9 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Then there was one more story I heard that supposedly took place in 2012. This came from what I would consider a very credible witness who claims to have seen some of the gold. The area was just off my claims at the southern end of the mountain. According to the witness who was not involved in any way with mining or treasure hunting, a crew had dug up a cache of 50 ounces. The funny thing is, I was actually there talking with this crew several times. They were digging areas at the base of the mountain with an excavator and also using metal detectors. They were out of Nevada and had been hired by the claim owner to do some prospecting to see if the claim had any good gravels to mine. At least that's what they told me.

The crew looked pretty rough. The first time I met them I walked into camp unannounced and was met by two big dogs who they called off. They were sitting at a wooden table drinking whisky and smoking dope. I told them I was the claim owner of all the adjoining areas to their claim. They were all wearing guns and told me it was a good thing I told them and now that they knew I was up there on the mountain they would shoot their guns the other way. They lent me one of their detectors which was a Fisher Gold Bug. It was the only time I ever used one. It was darn friendly of them as they didn't even know me. 

Eventually I returned the detector with a new battery to boot and thanked them. A week later I went down to their camp but they had packed it up and were gone. Later on, I was talking with a guy who knew these guys. He said I was real lucky they took a liking to me or I would have had my throat slit. For real. This is the kind of crazy stuff that happens out there. One night while camped up near one of the old dig sites by myself I awoke to gunfire at around 2:00 AM. It was a ways off and lasted for at least 15 - 20 minutes and there was a lot of it. I have no idea what was going on.  

I want to go camp out there, but I don't want to either.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bedrocker said:

You would be most welcome. This Summer we are planning on some events out there. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

Not a place for feigned of heart.

• Like 1

Just now, GhostMiner said:

Not a place for feigned of heart.

My partner Vern was actually run off the claims by gunshots a couple of years ago. He recorded it on video. I will see if he is willing to release it. We think there is millions in gold & treasure still on the claims. I would advise that the area remains a dangerous place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

GhostMiner I think I found Jed,s Truck.1640337259_JedsTruck.thumb.jpg.b99abf4184ea194c235f7a76b770a489.jpg

If it is not the36 Ford then it must be this one.

1781290768_Picture080.thumb.jpg.0750e4ec03a65444b2570d4567140dc1.jpg

Nice truck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

GhostMiner I think I found Jed,s Truck.1640337259_JedsTruck.thumb.jpg.b99abf4184ea194c235f7a76b770a489.jpg

If it is not the36 Ford then it must be this one.

1781290768_Picture080.thumb.jpg.0750e4ec03a65444b2570d4567140dc1.jpg

Yep, that's it LOL.

• Like 4