** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

May 19   1950 

The churn drill holes.

The first hole was drilled 50 ft north of the portal. Blue gravel was struck at 68 ft and remained in blue gravel until reaching bedrock at 110 ft. A second drill hole was placed 50 ft north of  #1 hole. This hole also struck the blue gravel at 75 ft but was stopped out at 85 ft due to large boulders. A third hole was drilled 50 ft west of the portal and reached a depth of 100 ft before being stopped out before reaching bedrock. There was no blue gravel encountered in hole #3. This seems to indicate the deposit is located in close proximity to the fault on its westerly side. Due to the expense and failing to reach bedrock in the 2nd and 3rd attempts I have decided to cease drilling in order to retain as much capital as possible. We will evaluate the churn drill values on site. 

Cost per foot of drifting       $36

Miner’s daily wage                19

Hoistman’s daily wage          15

Geologist                               95

TO BE CONTINUED ............

• Like 7

So I thought i'd show a map of where the 1950 work is taking place in relation to the area I worked with Jacob in 2002. The 2002 work was done at what the Stevens brothers call the Eastern Drift Mine and was about 2000 ft east of the 1950 project at the faultline. The 1950 crew reopened the glory hole and reopened the drift that went down to 56 ft and over 1000 ounces of gold sitting on raised bedrock according to the U.S. Dept of Interior report of 1965. Now they are opening a new drift along bedrock at the 56 ft level & heading north to see what is there. At some point the bedrock must fall away to deeper areas according to the geologist of that time and that is where the main deposit will be. Possibly thousands of ounces. I would have chased it just like they are doing. That is an area I plan to open up again. 

img394.jpg

img395.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May 21   1950

From the geologist  –  For 800 ft in the area along the west fault from the original portal and going in a northerly direction in the channel show good potential for significant pay streaks.

Gold values per cubic yard from drill samples

#3851     9.3 cents

#3852    1.12

#3853     22.2 cents

#3854     93.4 cents

#3855      4.6  cents

TO BE CONTINUED ............

• Like 4

This is one of the sketches from the geologist of the 1950 project. I have an entire trunk lode of information on thie 1950 - 1959 projects at the northern faultline area. I think because of the 1000 ounce gold strike of 1936 there was a lot of interest in the area after WW2.

001.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

This is one of the sketches from the geologist of the 1950 project. I have an entire trunk lode of information on thie 1950 - 1959 projects at the northern faultline area. I think because of the 1000 ounce gold strike of 1936 there was a lot of interest in the area after WW2.

001.jpg

Nice sketch work!

• Like 1

Here is another geologist sketch of the ground being considered in the 1950 project.

002.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

May 22   1950

We have advanced the drift on the northerly direction 42 ft. Careful examination of gravels found on or near bedrock (within 6 ft) of the bedrock contact reveal no values whatsoever. This is the first time such occurrence has been noted.

The possibility of entering an area some 150 ft farther along the present course from the surface is being considered as it appears that bedrock may ly nearer the surface than originally suspected. 

On the subject of the loan application, I have heard back from the bank and they advise I am unable to secure the funds requested without putting up sufficient collateral. I am looking into this as well as contacting several potential investors who previously had shown interest in the project. If sufficient funds are not procured I may need to terminate the project soon.  

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

May 14   2002

Last night I dreamt of gold. It is the first thing on my mind when I wake. I have the fever and it is bad. I think it is like that for Vern and Jim as well as possibly Jacob. Last night before retiring to his camper Jacob took me aside and thanked me again for including him on our team. I told him it was me who should be thankful to have him with us with the wealth of knowledge and experience he brought with him. 

When we arrived at the dig site we immediately could see that something was not right. Things had been disturbed. Nothing had been taken but everything had been knocked all over the place and the wash tub was tipped over and on the ground, not on the table. We figured a bear may have been up there rousting around but we couldn’t find any tracks. We put everything back in order and got to work without losing more than fifteen minutes. Like Jacob says, time is money.

We are widening the hole into more of a deep trench while still gaining depth. The work is a little slower now. We gave it all we had until nearly dark and ended up with fifteen yards of processed gravel. We pulled the mats and headed back to camp to get cleaned up some and have our supper. We will do the cleanup early tomorrow morning as we are just too exhausted from our day’s work. The life of a gold miner. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

May 22   1950

We have advanced the drift on the northerly direction 42 ft. Careful examination of gravels found on or near bedrock (within 6 ft) of the bedrock contact reveal no values whatsoever. This is the first time such occurrence has been noted.

The possibility of entering an area some 150 ft farther along the present course from the surface is being considered as it appears that bedrock may ly nearer the surface than originally suspected. 

On the subject of the loan application, I have heard back from the bank and they advise I am unable to secure the funds requested without putting up sufficient collateral. I am looking into this as well as contacting several potential investors who previously had shown interest in the project. If sufficient funds are not procured I may need to terminate the project soon.  

TO BE CONTINUED .................

The bedrock locations in that area are confounding to say the least. I've seen exposed bedrock in some areas & in others it's 100 ft deep. The fault broke everything up and threw it around just to confuse miners. It's enough to drive a person to drink.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1