** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

For those of you who are addicted to this story I have good news. There will be a second season of mining for the year 1937. The saga will continue in a series. 

That IS good news!

On 1/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, GhostMiner said:

As an introduction, I am the president of a small placer gold mine exploration & leasing company. While doing research on one of our mine properties I came across an old leather journal & thought i'd post the entries over time here. I named it "Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine." Hopefully the old timer who wrote it won't mind. I tried to find any relatives but have run into one dead end after another. I felt it was a story worth telling & over the period of posting the entries I will include pictures of the area as it looks today and what our modern activities at the site have been. The journal was mentioned in a 282 page government report that I stumbled upon while doing research. I was able to secure the original journal from the descendants of the president of a defunct mining company who did some work in the area back in the mid 1960's. The journal itself was written by a prospector who worked the area in 1936. He hit a gold strike of epic proportions and lived an adventure that is very fascinating to say the least. It's a wild ride showing a glimpse back into a long lost time. I hope you enjoy the journal.

PROLOGUE : This is a journal of the experiences written in the first person in 1936 by a prospector by the name of Jed Stevens while mining at the Whiskey Jack Mine. Jed had several claims in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. This area of claims produced large amounts of gold from the mid to late 1800's. The old placer mines were abandoned in the late 1800's as a result of California's Sawyer Decision which banned or severely limited hydraulic gold mining operations and left large amounts of undiscovered gold in the gravels. Here is the first entry :

APRIL 12   1936  :  Today I filed all the paperwork at the county court house for the mining claims I now hold near Lost Ravine. I then drove my Ford truck out to my claims. There was a good spot near Jake's Creek up to the north about 1500 feet from the main road that follows Morgan Creek where I set up my camp. It took the entire day to pitch the tent and set up my kitchen. The tent is a 15 foot cabin tent with a stove jack. I have a first rate box stove set up inside to be used for heat and some cooking. I also set up a second stove about 200 feet from camp for the main cooking jobs during good weather. 

Today was a good day for getting camp set as it was sunny and not too cold. Tomorrow my plan is to investigate one of the claim sites where the old diggings took place and get a bearing on my situation as far as where I might sample gravels and old tailings. I am losing daylight and getting cold so I will get into my sleeping bag on the cot and get some sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED ....................................

Here is a picture of Jed's journal as it looks today. It is in fairly good shape & also included some old maps.

IMG_20220115_153856.jpg

A NOTE TO READERS : THIS IS BASED ON A GOVERNMENT REPORT AS FAR AS ESTIMATED GOLD FOUND BY A MINER ON OUR CLAIMS IN 1936 BUT HIS NAME WAS CHANGED & THE STORY IS FICTIONAL. I FIGURD EVERYONE KNEW THAT BUT JUST PUTTING IT OUT HERE. THANKS TO ALL THE READERS. I HAVEN"T SOLD ANY BOOKS & HAVE DECIDED THE ENDLESS DRAMA ISN"T WORTH IT. CHEERS.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for the clarification Ghost. I have to say that there were entire magazines devoted to tales of this sort not long ago. Anyone remember Lost Treasure magazine?

I think a tiny little part of a prospectors brain always wants to believe there is something to every gold story/rumour. Most are just a bunch of gold tragic romantics who just can’t help themselves me included. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GhostMiner said:

A NOTE TO READERS : THIS IS BASED ON A GOVERNMENT REPORT AS FAR AS ESTIMATED GOLD FOUND BY A MINER ON OUR CLAIMS IN 1936 BUT HIS NAME WAS CHANGED & THE STORY IS FICTIONAL. I FIGURD EVERYONE KNEW THAT BUT JUST PUTTING IT OUT HERE. THANKS TO ALL THE READERS. I HAVEN"T SOLD ANY BOOKS & HAVE DECIDED THE ENDLESS DRAMA ISN"T WORTH IT. CHEERS.

So what does this mean, is this the end of the story?

Not the end of the story. I have people in Australia who are bound to stop the journal going so far as to report me to the FBI for fraud. At least that's what they are claiming. I pulled down the sale of the book temporarily to get advice. This Australian is saying I am calling something true that is fiction in order to make money. Nothing is further from the truth. So I will just put the book back up as fiction. I wrote the journal myself based on a true story that I greatly embellished. So find the highest tree & string me up LOL. Those that like the story will keep reading it and those that are mad it's not all real won't. Way too much drama every week over this LOL.

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Gold Seeker said:

So what does this mean, is this the end of the story?

Not the end LOL. Just more drama by the haters.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I think a tiny little part of a prospectors brain always wants to believe there is something to every gold story/rumour. Most are just a bunch of gold tragic romantics who just can’t help themselves me included. 

The gold strike by my character is actually in the government report. The gold ounces are close to correct as even the government rounded it. The rest is fiction on my part. 

• Like 1