** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

May 15   1937

Last night John and I drank whisky until 2:00 in the morning. Hudson and Will got a restful sleep and this morning broke clear and cold. I stoked the morning cooking fire and made hash and eggs for the crew. We washed it down with coffee and whisky and talked about what we were going to do. It was clear to me that Will and Hidson needed time to heal and we needed to keep a close watch on their wounds. John wanted to get back to digging for buried treasure and I felt up to working some as well. 

So with Sarge and Ben on guard duty John and I went back to digging around the rocks. We were not far from Hudson and Will so we could go over and check on them frequently. We were getting deeper down on the northern side of the rocks and I let out a curse as a cold chill washed over my body. There was another skeleton lying in the freshly dug gravel. John and I carefully dug it out and set the bones on the surface. I started to think about what the shaman had told us. I took a long swig from the whisky bottle I kept close but it didn’t help me shake the cold wind that descended over us. Suddenly the clear sky turned dark and an ice cold rain poured down. John just gave me a look like what the hell is happening here.

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

May 16   1937

What I have to say here this day continues to haunt me. Yesterday we dug up a skeleton and under the skeleton was more treasure. This time a small box about 18 inches in length and filled with jewels. To know the value I would need to have them looked at by an expert but they were of gold, silver, and gemstones. Most likely they are of great value.

We sat around camp at breakfast and tried to understand what was happening here. We had only come to mine for gold but now were sitting on buried treasure that seems to have no end. We also have a gold mine at the eastern drift that shows us huge potential. I am sure we are still being watched and expect to be attacked again at some point. Sometimes I feel like a walking dead man.

Will and Hudson are somewhat better and to tell the truth I would like to send them home when they are fit to travel. I haven’t talked with them about this but I fear for their safety. I am wondering if John will stick this out as well. He has never flinched and neither has any of the crew. I am thinking that if we stay we may not get out alive.  

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 17   1937

John and I did more digging yesterday but turned up nothing which actually was a relief to me. We still want to know what is left of this treasure though and will continue to dig. 

Last night none of us got much sleep. There was yelling and gunfire way up on the mountain. Then it would move to another location. I have no idea who they were but they shot off guns until nearly daybreak.

I fixed up breakfast and John and I went back to digging for treasure. We had gotten down pretty deep on the north side with nothing more found so we moved counterclockwise to the west side of the rocks and got up a head of steam. The sooner we finished up here the better is the way we all were looking at it. Down about nine feet we hit wood. This had a real heavy sound to it and we carefully scraped the dirt off the top. It was another chest but this one was larger than the others. When we had the top cleared off it was about four feet in length and about three feet in width. We slowly worked the dirt away from the sides and it appeared to be three feet or so in depth. When we tried to lift it out of the hole we couldn’t do it. It was too heavy and the wood was slightly rotted. John shot off the lock and we slowly opened the lid. When we saw the contents John let out a curse and a whoop. I just stood there shaking. I could not believe my eyes. I asked myself what the hell were we discovering here. Could this really be happening to us?

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 18   1937

The old wooden chest was half  filled with small gold bars and gold and silver jewelry. There were no markings. My hands were trembling as I lifted one of the bars out and into the sunlight. We started taking everything out and counted the bars as we placed them on the surface. It took us some time and we counted out 200 bars. The jewelry added up to 90 pieces, some with multiple jewels and gold and silver pieces. At the bottom of the box there was an old map and drawing. The drawing showed several men being stuck with swords by men in some kind of armor. John and I just looked at each other dumbstruck.

The map seemed to give more directions to another hiding place to the north of the rocks. There were several markers along the way to an X in a circle. There was no indication of distance. The treasure spot was indicated to be along the creek near large rocks once again. There were five rocks drawn in a rough line on the west side of the creek near the bottom of the mountain.

We immediately called a meeting of the entire crew including Sarge and Ben. We needed to protect our treasure and make a plan to continue the hunt. I told everyone that any man who wanted to leave would be given a share of the gold and there would be no questions asked. Not one man wanted to leave even though we were all in danger. We decided to stay the course here at the rocks until we felt everything possible had been dug. John and I would handle the digging while Will and Hudson continued to heal. We would trust our lives to Sarge and Ben. I told them they were equal partners in the treasure as well. Sarge laughed and said he was about to ask me about that. We covered the treasure with a blanket and went back to work. 

TO BE CONTINUED ......................

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

A 1937 recovery by GhostMiner caught on video. Just kidding but it is buried treasure. The video is good from start to finish but have set it to start at the chest section if liked you can start at the start.

..................Video LINK...........

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1