** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

I'm really enjoying reading the journal entry's and look forward to the next. I spend quite a bit of time up the mountains of the Northern Mother Load also. I does tend to get a bit spooky at night when out there alone!

If you don't mind, just curious what County all this takes place?

• Thanks 1

This is a captivating story, thanks for the entries.

That kettle hole reminds me of other stories I've read where miners hit potholes/large crevices in gold-bearing rivers that were thick with gold. Wouldn't that be amazing? (I hit a hole once while dredging and the entire bottom was covered in gold.)

I love the 1860's+ gold era of gold rushes, so I'll guess 1860 ounces--a phenomenal haul if he pulled it off, and if it's more, booyahh! 

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

Look at that big assed Doug Fir you're standing next too! Pine in background looks juicy too.....

Lots of huge Cedar & Ponderosa Pine up there. Straight and tall. I's love to have a cabin up there - might never leave.

• Like 2

(1) Some of the rock old Jed was moving. All in a days work I guess.

(2) If only Jed had one of these LOL.

DSC00250.JPG

DSC00287.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lanny said:

This is a captivating story, thanks for the entries.

That kettle hole reminds me of other stories I've read where miners hit potholes/large crevices in gold-bearing rivers that were thick with gold. Wouldn't that be amazing? (I hit a hole once while dredging and the entire bottom was covered in gold.)

I love the 1860's+ gold era of gold rushes, so I'll guess 1860 ounces--a phenomenal haul if he pulled it off, and if it's more, booyahh! 

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny. Got it down. I had a guy stop by one yr when we were down at one of the creeks. He told me they hit a good spot when dredging and got 80 ounces back in the 1980's. Now California doesn't allow it. Of course i've read the journal but posting it is making me want to put a team together and work it old school for a few months. I love living off grid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matt said:

I'm really enjoying reading the journal entry's and look forward to the next. I spend quite a bit of time up the mountains of the Northern Mother Load also. I does tend to get a bit spooky at night when out there alone!

All I can say for now is northern California. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt said:

I am thinking of putting a team together to work the faultline again. My partners are mainly investors except one. I'd like to work it old school to avoid all the permitting and Forest Service supervision. I've done 5 Plans of Operation in various locations on the property and had a plan approved for the faultline way to the south of where Jed worked but the FS can be a pain at times. We dug the old drift with an excavator and used a Gold Claimer Pioneer 30 to run gravels. There is still good gold out there also but we decided to lease that out & go into the faultline. That's a treasure hunt.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Thanks Lanny. Got it down. I had a guy stop by one yr when we were down at one of the creeks. He told me they hit a good spot when dredging and got 80 ounces back in the 1980's. Now California doesn't allow it. Of course i've read the journal but posting it is making me want to put a team together and work it old school for a few months. I love living off grid. 

I've done the off-grid living, in a wall-tent to boot, with a nice wood-burning stove to drive off the cold mountain morning air. Lots of fun, but the apex predators up here in the north always keep that type of off-grid living fresh and exciting, and the bugs keep it interesting as well. Still, lots of great memories from living off-grid, ones I wouldn't trade for anything.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I've done the off-grid living, in a wall-tent to boot, with a nice wood-burning stove to drive off the cold mountain morning air. Lots of fun, but the apex predators up here in the north always keep that type of off-grid living fresh and exciting, and the bugs keep it interesting as well. Still, lots of great memories from living off-grid, ones I wouldn't trade for anything.

All the best,

Lanny

Yes. I've lived up at Jed's dig site for over a month on a few occasions. Twice by myself with no cell service so you are really on your own. No grizzly in Cal but lots of black bear & lion up there. I was out there 3 other times with a crew and that was a lot of fun. Ten X ten tent and shower with a 2 gallon pump up sprayer that sits in the sun to get warm. Life can be so simple.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Yes. I've lived up at Jed's dig site for over a month on a few occasions. Twice by myself with no cell service so you are really on your own. No gizzly in Cal but lots of black bear & lion up there. I was out there 3 other times with a cre and that was a lot of fun. Ten X ten tent and shower with a 2 gallon pump up sprayer that sits in the sun to get warm. Life can be so simple.

No cell service where we were either. Had to make a drive to a tiny store with a satellite phone for any kind of connection. (Lots of places I still chase the gold where cell service goes to die.)

We used to hang those black shower bags (the ones with the red nozzles) in the trees in the sun to get warm water for our showers. Lots of people can't relate to truly living off-grid, nice to meet a kindred soul.

Good luck chasing that gold, nothing better to keep life amazing, and it sounds like you're on some likely ground.

Looking forward to the rest of Jed's story.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1