** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

57 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So where is the link to this report so we can read it?

I don't want to divulge too much info LOL. 

19 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

It's no big secret, it is published public record.

True. I just wanted to tell people what I loosely based the journal on - or at least what gave me the idea to write it. 

May 25   1937     Part Eight

There was once again no sound or movement of any kind for a good ten minutes. Then I heard something moving from the south up the rough road that ran up along the east side of the creek. It was a truck with the lights turned off. Then the gunfire started again. One of the gang was driving and there were a couple of guys in the bed shooting up towards our camp. As this was going on several more armed gunmen came down from the north of camp firing their rifles. 

I heard Sarge open up on the truck and Ben was firing towards the north. The rest of us began firing as well. Sarge’s BAR was barking and it wasn’t long until the truck stopped moving towards camp. He was riddling it with rounds and it appeared that he put it out of commission. He was keeping the thugs pinned down. I circled around to the southeast and saw two men behind the truck firing their rifles. Sarge had them pinned under heavy fire. I took cover behind a big pine. They hadn’t seen me and I opened up. The first one went down and the second one turned to look for where the gunfire was coming from. I nailed him before he ever saw me. I could see the driver slumped over on the wheel. They were done for. I hollered up to Sarge to stop firing and that they were all dead. Then we turned our attention to the last bunch who were still firing down on our camp from the north.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

May 25   1937     Part Nine

We decided to take the offensive now rather than hunker down and take fire from what was left of them. Will and Hudson remained in defensive positions and guarded the treasure while the rest of us formed a wide line and attacked the gang from the south. We went straight in and the gunfire was intense. We could see gun flashes from two positions and figured this was the last two we had to deal with. Sarge and I headed for one position and John and Ben took the other. We opened fire and moved in. The thug we were shooting at went down and Sarge and I went towards the last one and soon all four of us were firing on that position. The gangster attempted to break his cover from behind a pine tree but was quickly gunned down by gunfire from the four of us. And then it was quiet. We had finished them off. The gunsmoke was hanging heavy in the  air. 

We headed back down to camp and hollered out to Will and Hudson that we had beaten them. We stoked a good fire and broke out some whiskey. Once again the crew had been able to stand up to the endless amount of thugs that wanted to steal our goods. It hit me for the first time that we were indeed a bad bunch of men to mess with. These guys had come for us well armed and with a plan. They had us outnumbered. Now they had paid the ultimate price.  Jed would have been proud of us. 

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

May 26   1937

Last night we drank whiskey and argued about what to do with the treasure. John said that if we tried to sell it we might lose it to our government or a foreign government because they might claim they had the rights to it. He said we needed to find a broker who would quietly and secretly line up the sale of either all or part of the treasure. It needed to be evaluated as to possible origin and value as well. This would not be easy and could lead to problems. John said that we should bury everything and station a guard at the site at all times until we figured out what to do. We all ended up agreeing on that plan.

So before sunrise the treasure was once again under the ground with the exception of a few examples we could show a broker. The crew took the day off while John and I drove Sarge’s truck into town to get supplies and buy a new work truck. I found a good used one at a small dealer’s lot in town and we filled it up with a big load of supplies. 

When we were in the general store I asked if there were any good jewelry shops in the area. I was directed to a little shop on a side street and we drove over there to talk with the owner.

When John and I walked in I asked the man if he was the owner. He said he was. Then I asked him if he knew any jewelry wholesalers who bought items. He gave me a phone number and we went to a private area and called the number. The broker was located in Reno. I told him we had some items that were of great value that we would like to sell and asked him if he could come to town to look at them. The broker told me he would be in that area in two days so I made an appointment to meet him at the jewelry store. That was all that was said and John and I drove the trucks back to camp.

We unloaded the supplies and I fixed a big supper later on and we broke out the whisky and discussed everything. By now the crew had buried the bodies of all the outlaws. We were free of them. I asked every member of the crew if they were still in with me for the mining project. To a man they all said yes. I told them that we most likely had hit a great deposit of gold and needed to get back to working the ground. Will and Hudson were still not back to full strength and not up to digging so they would need to act as guards along with Sarge but Ben would go out to the site and help me dig. Sarge would remain on guard duty. 

Now that we had a plan we would get back to our jobs as miners. The going would most likely be slow for a while but I couldn’t hardly wait to get back to digging. The crew turned in for the night but I sat up for another hour drinking whiskey and remembering all the past events. I rolled a Burley and took a deep drag. The one thing that still bothered me was what the Indian Shaman had said. I just couldn’t get it out of my mind.

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

So 170,000 views? No way!! Will have some more entries up for the weekend. Thanks to every one of the readers. And a big  thanks to Steve for letting me post it here.

• Like 4

The reason I have not made an entry in two days is because the most incredable thing has happened to me. I suppose this has something to do with treasure but of a different kind. While cleaning out a very old desk I came across a large envelope. I don't think this envelope had seen the light of day in many, many years. When I opened it I was quite surprised to find all kinds of information on my step grandfather's time in the Army/Airforce during WW2. He passed away in 1987 & never talked about the war. He was in the 432nd Fighter Squadron of the 475th Fighter Group. The 475th formed in Australia in May of 1942. In this large envelope is a treasure trove of information. He kept a journal documenting his travels & activities from 1941 until his discharge in 1945. The 432 flew the P38. There is also his King Neptunes Certificate for crossing the equator on Feb 21, 1942. This is not a copy but the original. I also have his SWPA (South West Pacific Area) V Fighter Command book with all the commadations given to the group. One entry even contains a Priority Secret message to General Wurtsmith from General Macarthur. I am still going through all this material and have been doing so for the past two days. There are so many untold stories of the brave men who fought for our freedoms during WW2 and now my goal is to tell his. I am the last one who can do it. I feel it is my sacred duty. Here is his picture. I am so very proud of him & to say I knew him.  

001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Wow ! you found gold right there . Will look forward to his story . He looks very young in that photo .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1