** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

June 26   1937     Part Four

John and I walked back up to camp and informed Hudson and Will what the sheriff had proposed. Then I told Hudson to go into town and arrange for the deputies to meet with us in our camp at sunset. 

Will and I got ourselves something to eat and went back up to the digsite. Will could tell I wasn’t much in the mood for talking and we just went on with our pick and shovel work in silence until an hour before dark. We ended the day with 90 buckets.

When we got back to camp we got a nice fire going and I washed up some. The night air was already starting to creep in and the sun was getting low. The crew sat around the fire eating supper and I brought out a couple bottles of whisky and we set about filling our cups. I was rolling a smoke when Deputy Dan and Luther came walking in hollering out in advance who they were so they didn’t get shot. I told them to take a seat by the fire and handed them a bottle of whisky and two cups. I told them we had some talking to do.  

TO BE CONTINUED .............

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

When the Deputies find out the deal with their boss, did not include them. I am sure they need to make a vacancy for their own promotion at the Police Station. No need to eliminate the Judge as he would not have any case from the Deputies. 😉

• Like 2

That better be a flat rate and no extras ever. That's a steep price. But, look how much attorneys cost. I suppose this way you have the Judge and the sheriff's Dept on your side. That's if they can do their job. A lotta good they've been so far. 

Having the option to jail anyone is pretty nice though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

That better be a flat rate and no extras ever. That's a steep price. But, look how much attorneys cost. I suppose this way you have the Judge and the sheriff's Dept on your side. That's if they can do their job. A lotta good they've been so far. 

Having the option to jail anyone is pretty nice though!

Can the judge & sheriff be trusted is the question here. Also, if you watch that video. it may hold some clues. There is a sheriff in that video that appears briefly.

June 26   1937     Part Five

I was blunt with the two deputies. I told them what the sheriff and judge wanted from us and what they had offered in return. They didn’t seem surprised but said they had no clue in advance what he would want. I took them at their word. I asked the deputies how loyal they were to the sheriff. They said they had no loyalties to him other than getting a paycheck. I explained to them that I was ready to up their pay and gold percentage but would need their loyalty to our crew and not the sheriff. I told them this might mean standing with us and going against the sheriff if there was trouble. I told them to think it over. I made it clear that they were worth more to us while being deputies rather than civilians.When they finished their whisky I told them our crew needed to have a private meeting but I would let them know what we decided. With that the deputies left and our crew started an important conversation.  

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

19 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Clues? Maybe some.

Been ridin' hard for three days        but I can't turn back now

They sentenced me to hang           but I slipped away somehow

Hell I'm th best there is                   and that's all you need to know

I've got outlaw blood                      and a restless weary soul

And I'm tryin' to cross the border    when sun sets down tonight

If I keep on ridin' hard                    I'll be a free man come daylight

Hell I'm the best there is               and that's what I hear them say

But I guess I always knew            that I'd pay my debt someday

They found me in a little town     just outside of Mexico

I was sold out by a friend            for a handful of pesos

And anyone can tell you              my guns they were not drawn

I was murdered down in cold blood     left to die at dawn

Been gone 100 years now              but it seems like yesterday

As the lawman shot me in the back    and stole my life away

Hell I'm the best that ever lived        I'm a legend among men

Now every time that pistol fires       my legend rides again

They found me in a little town        just outside of Mexico

What happened there that night      no one will ever know

But anyone can tell you                That I was unarmed

And anyone can tell you               That I left that night unharmed

• Like 1

I'm going to open this old chest up on Saturday & show the entire contents. Was it part of the old crew's stash? 

IMG_20221208_114753.jpg

• Like 1

June 26   1937     Part Six

I asked the crew what they thought of the sheriff’s proposal. They were not keen on it. To a man they all said they didn’t trust him. They weren’t even sure about the deputies. I agreed with them about the sheriff but told them the deputies could be of some use to us and I was willing to pay them out of my own pocket. Money was not an issue. Trust was and always will be the issue and they would need to prove themselves.

I spoke honestly with the crew. I wanted them to understand that we were as much outlaws as we were gold miners now. We had chosen out of need to handle things our own way but there may be a price to pay. We agreed that we were all willing to stick together. However, I told them that if any one or all of them decided at some point they wanted to leave the crew there would be no questions asked. It would be each man’s decision and I would always consider them friends.

At the end of the meeting we all looked each other in the eye and shook hands. There would be no deal with the corrupt sheriff and judge. We would stand our ground and fight if the need came. The deputies now had to prove they were all in with us or we would consider them our enemies as well as the sheriff. The meeting ended and we will wash up the gravels together in the morning. I’ve got an uneasy feeling about our situation. 

TO BE CONTINUED .............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

Top of the faultline a litttle south of the 1000 oz discovery that was at the base. This spot was about 100 ft higher than the bottom of the fault. We found some nice gold up there during our sampling. 

DSC00071.JPG

image0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1