** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Thought I'd drop off a few Oh My's .

That was a nice looking pan !

Good to see you're still having fun with the story.

It reminds me of those old serial western shows on TV when I was a kid.

You should write an episode where you time travel there with that excavator ???? LOL

Were those your lyrics you posted ?

46 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Thought I'd drop off a few Oh My's .

That was a nice looking pan !

Good to see you're still having fun with the story.

It reminds me of those old serial western shows on TV when I was a kid.

You should write an episode where you time travel there with that excavator ???? LOL

Were those your lyrics you posted ?

Not my lyrics. They are from the video I posted that might contain some clues. Yes, that was a nice pan for sure. 

• Like 1

June 27   1937     Part Two

I told the crew that I had been thinking about the so called sheriff and what to do about him. According to what I had heard about him he was nothing but a thug and murderer and a disgrace to his badge. I’d never heard anything good about him. He needed to go one way or another. No one said a word including Dan and I went on. I said that we needed to act and fast. Especially now that the sheriff was working with a Mexican crime ring and ready to rob and kill once again. Enough was enough. I proposed that we confront him and the gang. Take them by surprise. If the sheriff was killed in the fight so be it. Otherwise we would take him prisoner and dispose of him. I looked directly at Dan and asked if he and Luther had the sand to take on the group of thugs including the sheriff. He told us yes and knew Luther was up for a cleaning up as well.

I told Dan that once the sheriff was gone there would be a new sheriff. Maybe that new sheriff could be him. The judge would have to be dealt with as well. I was willing to take him captive and make him disappear somewhere in the desert. I had the money to do it. I told Dan that our crew was now more powerful than the sheriff and judge and it was time to take control of the county. I pulled a bottle of whisky out of my tent and passed a few cups around. We will make our plan tonight. 

TO BE CONTINUED .............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1

The old Paxton Hotel on the feather River and one of the residents who stayed too long. Yes, I have spent time at this location but didn't hang out with that guy. The old crew may have also frequented this place. There is a nice bar in there.

DSC00019.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

• Like 3

June 27   1937     Part Three

We quickly put a plan together and set it in motion. Dan went back to town and we planned to meet up with him and Luther outside of the general store. The Mexican gang was staying in a back room of the hotel. Dan said there was a back entrance and their room was the first one near the door. He said they had probably planned this as a strategy of escape in case of trouble. Now we would use it as our surprise attack point.

Dan said the sheriff could be called at home to bring him to the hotel before our attack. The deputy would phone him and say there was trouble inside the room where the gang was staying. We would jump the sheriff and then take on the gang. It had to be successful as the two deputies would be exposed as enemies of the sheriff. After  this was done the deputies would call the judge and tell him there was urgent business that needed to be attended to and to meet them at the sheriff’s office. The judge lived alone and the sheriff had lived alone for the past few years because his wife had left him. We left Will and Hudson at camp to guard our goods. John and I headed for town in my sedan. We were loaded heavy and ready for a fight. 

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

Here is one of the old cabins up in Paxton. The cabins date back to 1930 and are located near the old hotel and bar. They are just about  It is rumored that the original crew from the 1936 journal I'm writing stayed here on a few occasions and were quite rowdy. There were numerous fights in the bar. I think the 1936 crew came out here to blow off steam & spend some of the gold on various things. By the way, my wife & I stayed in that cabin for a month. That's my lantern on the table. You have to drive across an old bridge over the Feather River to get up there and it's all privately owned including a drift mine into the mountain. 

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00060.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

Nice place to set up a sluice! Or, detect the high banks for chunky! The Feather is legendary big gold country!

And big boulders. The drive on highway 70 to Oroville is beautiful. It follows the Feather River across the Sierra Nevada Mts and a couple of cool tunnels to drive through as well. There is a nice prospecting shop in Oroville as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tahoegold said:

Nice place to set up a sluice! Or, detect the high banks for chunky! The Feather is legendary big gold country!

BTW, the caretaker there was big on gold detecting. They would take a truck with a winch and park it on the bridge. Then they would move boulders and detect. Pretty cool & yes, they found small nuggets. 

• Like 2