** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Just finished reading all of the miners journal entries you shared, thank you it's great reading.  The photo of the old cabin next to that giant old pine tree is great!  I'd love to metal detect there, not so much for gold (I've never been metal detecting for gold, I'm a relic hunter at heart) but given it was an 1800's site and a depression era site as well, there's likely some interesting relics waiting to be unearthed (and tons of iron trash too no doubt).  I'd love to detect that cabin site, who knows what they lost there.  According to Jed's journal they were in a tent, so that log cabin must predate Jed's season there.

Whenever I'm researching new relic sites to detect, for me one of the most enjoyable aspects is the research, and learning the history of the site. Next is actually locating the site (which sometimes we never do figure out where the X marks the spot is, just like gold mining I assume, if you're off 50 feet from ground zero, you might as well be a mile off), and then when and if we locate a site, hoping that someone else hasn't already cleaned it out, the real fun begins and we get to touch the history.   

If you're ever open to a greenhorn metal detecting there for relics, I'd be game.  You could blindfold me until we got to the site if it's top secret 🙂 In all seriousness, I can completely understand your reluctance to share any more then the state your claims located in.  It's no different then our relic sites, always someone trying to take the easy route by figuring out where your metal detecting when they see your finds.  Some of the sites we've found we've spent countless hours of research to decipher the footnotes of history for clues to determine the location.   It's hard to believe, but there are still virgin stage stops and trading posts out there waiting to be discovered, but they're a needle in a haystack for sure. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

This is a very informative and addicting story.     Its almost like a primer for placer mining.   Thank you for sharing it with us.

Good luck with your highgraders.   You'll  need to get identifiable pictures to prosecute, so you'll have to get clever with your cameras.  They won't quit until it costs too much in sweat or in personal injury.   

HH
Mike  

Thanks. We got them handled. They won't be high grading us again. My younger partners had there way and it got ugly LOL. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Just finished reading all of the miners journal entries you shared, thank you it's great reading.  The photo of the old cabin next to that giant old pine tree is great!  I'd love to metal detect there, not so much for gold (I've never been metal detecting for gold, I'm a relic hunter at heart) but given it was an 1800's site and a depression era site as well, there's likely some interesting relics waiting to be unearthed (and tons of iron trash too no doubt).  I'd love to detect that cabin site, who knows what they lost there.  According to Jed's journal they were in a tent, so that log cabin must predate Jed's season there.

Whenever I'm researching new relic sites to detect, for me one of the most enjoyable aspects is the research, and learning the history of the site. Next is actually locating the site (which sometimes we never do figure out where the X marks the spot is, just like gold mining I assume, if you're off 50 feet from ground zero, you might as well be a mile off), and then when and if we locate a site, hoping that someone else hasn't already cleaned it out, the real fun begins and we get to touch the history.   

If you're ever open to a greenhorn metal detecting there for relics, I'd be game.  You could blindfold me until we got to the site if it's top secret 🙂 In all seriousness, I can completely understand your reluctance to share any more then the state your claims located in.  It's no different then our relic sites, always someone trying to take the easy route by figuring out where your metal detecting when they see your finds.  Some of the sites we've found we've spent countless hours of research to decipher the footnotes of history for clues to determine the location.   It's hard to believe, but there are still virgin stage stops and trading posts out there waiting to be discovered, but they're a needle in a haystack for sure. 

Thanks for reading. As I stated earlier in the posts, we found the eatern drift mine mentioned and we opened it with an excavator. Thhere was an old 2 man tuttle tooth hand saw in there. Pretty cool. When we read the old report when doing research it was quite a thrill when we found Jed's site. I had no idea it was up there on the mountain. This story is really just getting started and there is a lot of things coming, some good, some not so good. We will dig that site again for sure. Jed only got part of the treasure. The cabin pre dates Jed for sure. I will eventually post what his site looks like today and you will be amazed at the digging these guys did. Oops, did I say guys? More to come. When we do a project up there I'll post before I go. Maybe come up and hang out with us at camp for awhile. You can bring the beer & whiskey. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

What the hell, here's what the site looks like today. A huge trench they dug and a timbered glory hole. So much gold out of one spot it makes you crazy and it's just a pin prick in that spot. 

WP_20140329_021.jpg

WP_20140330_004.jpg

WP_20140330_003.jpg

WP_20140329_027.jpg

WP_20140330_007 (1).jpg

WP_20140330_005.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

43 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Thanks for reading. As I stated earlier in the posts, we found the eatern drift mine mentioned and we opened it with an excavator. Thhere was an old 2 man tuttle tooth hand saw in there. Pretty cool. When we read the old report when doing research it was quite a thrill when we found Jed's site. I had no idea it was up there on the mountain. This story is really just getting started and there is a lot of things coming, some good, some not so good. We will dig that site again for sure. Jed only got part of the treasure. The cabin pre dates Jed for sure. I will eventually post what his site looks like today and you will be amazed at the digging these guys did. Oops, did I say guys? More to come. When we do a project up there I'll post before I go. Maybe come up and hang out with us at camp for awhile. You can bring the beer & whiskey. 

That's really neat that you found the old 2 man saw, been a while since I've seen one of those.  I have friends that detect gold rush period sites but for relics, if they find any gold it's a miner drop in a mining camp, but the relics they left behind in the ground really add to the story and history of these sites.  What a life these guys had, nothing was easy, everything wants to get you and your treasure, and yet more often then not they persevered.  I always appreciate how much easier our life is then they had it when I'm out in the field, and have a lot of respect for those that came before us.

I'd be thrilled to camp up there, beer and [Irish?] whiskey would be a given 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

That's really neat that you found the old 2 man saw, been a while since I've seen one of those.  I have friends that detect gold rush period sites but for relics, if they find any gold it's a miner drop in a mining camp, but the relics they left behind in the ground really add to the story and history of these sites.  What a life these guys had, nothing was easy, everything wants to get you and your treasure, and yet more often then not they persevered.  I always appreciate how much easier our life is then they had it when I'm out in the field, and have a lot of respect for those that came before us.

I'd be thrilled to camp up there, beer and [Irish?] whiskey would be a given 🙂 

See you out there.

• Like 1

I will eventually be posting a drawing or map of the layout of Jed's site. We also now have very good reason to believe that Jed only scratched the surface of a massive gold deposit at this area. I am talking $20 - $40 Million in gold still sitting there in the ground about 50 ft below the surface,

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I have been out of action lately

I was wondering where you got to.. Welcome back, we've missed you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1