** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

29 minutes ago, Bedrocker said:

I think for sure that the sound of the Thompson firing would have woken up you guys in camp. Only question is would Jacob have fired warning shots or simply eliminated the threat.

I realize you're position of course. In the 1930's it was a completely different world. In Jed's days probably nobody would have gone looking for three guys that never returned home. In 2002 it's a good chance those three guys had family members that would have filed a missing persons report. And if people knew what the three guys were up to and where, then you and your mining crew could really have a problem on your hands. 

So you would have to be digging a deep hole in the middle of the night and make it look really good too lol. You would probably be okay as long as nobody brought the search dogs up. Wink 😜

Anytime I brought up reporting problems like this to the law Jacob became angry. He had no use for the law & didn't trust them anymore than he trusted the hooligans. He was old school and figured he could handle things his own way. Like I said before, he was an outlaw.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

3 shots is the SOS signal. If you fired into a safe spot, it would have scared most modern folks who never have guns shooting near them when they are in the act of sabotage. They would probably have to change their pants. And, the camp would be alerted. No one would be hurt and the hooligans would spread the news. I think Jacob did that a few times too. 

However, I can understand that shooting at night not seeing where you're aiming could be dangerous. Maybe set up a designated tree or something. 

At any rate, you have a problem with rats and something needs to be done for sure! When are we to hear the next things? 🍻

• Like 1

June 2   2002     Part Four

By 2:00 AM everything was still quiet. I walked back down to camp and talked with Vern for a bit. Then Jim took over my watch while Vern and I tried to get  some sleep. I was only just starting to fall asleep when I heard a bunch of gunfire up on the mountain. I pulled on my boots and as I jumped out of my camper I saw vern and Jacob coming out as well. All I could think was Jim had been shot and what am I going to tell his family.

Jacob had his trusty Thompson ready for business but I talked him into staying at camp and guarding it while Vern and I went up towards the gunfire which was still continuing in spurts. Jacob hollered out for us to kill them all.

I had my 9 MM and Vern had the 357 revolver Jim had lent him. Up the mountain we went while making sure to keep an eye out on either side of the trail. Then Jim’s voice came over my walkie talkie. He said he was pinned down behind a big pine tree not far from the pump and afraid to move. I told him to stay put. Jim said he wasn’t exactly sure where the shots were coming from or if anyone was trying to shoot him or maybe just scare the hell out of him. Either way, whoever these guys were, they had now crossed the line and we’d had enough. Vern was fighting mad and so was I.

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

June 2   2002     Part Five

As we worked our way up close to where Jim was taking cover the gun fire ceased. They must have seen us coming even though we were not using our flashlights. Jim popped out from behind his tree and came over to where we were taking cover. We decided to head back to camp as it was too dangerous out here in the dark and we were sitting ducks.

When we got back to camp Jacob was all wound up. He wanted to organize a hunting party. I told him no, we are not here for that. Jim and I figured the men were not shooting at him but only trying to scare him. He said he had not heard any bullets striking anything around him and they were probably firing in the air. I wanted to go to the sheriff but Jacob was dead set against it. He said there was nothing they could do and we needed to handle our own matters. Jacob said he would sit up outside of camp until daylight and that we should get some sleep. It had been a long night and we were all exhausted. I began to wonder if the gold this was worth all of this. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 2

3 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I began to wonder if the gold this was worth all of this. 

Not worth losing your life that's for sure. But you must now be very vigilant as the hooligans could strike at any time. Probably have to post a guard at the pump daily which also means one less digger ... and then there is the camp security! What a mess!

• Like 2

June 3   2002     Part One

Evidently I wasn’t the only one on the crew thinking if the new dangers were worth the risk to mine gold. I was sitting in Jacob’s camper having coffee at dawn when Jim came in. He had a funny look on his face. He told me he was thinking of going home and leaving the crew. I was shocked and Jacob was angry. Jim said he didn’t like being the target of gunfire and trouble makers. I told him not to let the creeps win. I said we needed to keep our team together for not only safety but production as well. Jim said he just wanted his cut and would be on his way. This wasn’t sitting well with Jacob. Then Vern came in to see what was going on. It was looking like a rough start to the morning. 

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

52 minutes ago, Tahoegold said:

Maybe it's time to hire Sarge... 🪖

They got Sarge killed in Mexico. And he for sure didn't deserve that.

1 minute ago, Tahoegold said:

No he didn't. But, what I mean is, time to hire a pro.

I agree man. Time to hire some gunslingers.