** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

19 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

If the stream is way up in the mountains... then why not?

D4G

We don't know the source but it's been tested & is pure. We've drank it for years. Cold & delicious. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

If the stream is way up in the mountains... then why not?

D4G

If the water is spring water and not to far from the source, then I would agree, but even with run off from a spring the further you get away from the source unless it's been piped in or if the stream is from rain or melting snow runoff the chances of getting sick from bacteria, viruses, or more likely Giardia is not worth the risk, I have no problem drinking from most any stream if I have a "filter straw" or "water filter bottle", I'm just not going to risk drinking unfiltered water unless it was a life saving/survival type situation, or as I mentioned it's coming from underground spring and only very close to the source. 

1 minute ago, Gold Seeker said:

If the water is spring water and not to far from the source, then I would agree, but even with run off from a spring the further you get away from the source or if the stream is from rain or melting snow runoff the chances of getting sick from bacteria, viruses, or more likely Giardia is not worth the risk, I have no problem drinking from most any stream if I have a "filter straw" or "water filter bottle", I'm just not going to risk drink unfiltered water unless it was a life saving/survival type situation, or as I mentioned it's coming from underground spring and only very close to the source. 

Tested & pure. Some prefer to bring in water from town. To each his own. Been drinking it many years & never ever sick. 

• Like 1

Just now, GhostMiner said:

Tested & pure. Some prefer to bring in water from town. To each his own. Been drinking it many years & never ever sick. 

Likely from a spring somewhere up high on the mountain. The old timers in 1936/1937 used it too.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Yes I'm sure it is since it's coming from a pipe, I'm willing to bet it's coming from a underground spring.

My father and I would drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains and every so often you would see a pipe driven into the rock face cut for the road with the best water I have ever drank coming out of the pipes, we would drink our fill and drive on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gold Seeker said:

Yes I'm sure it is since it's coming from a pipe, I'm willing to bet it's coming from a underground spring.

My father and I would drive through the Blue Mountains and every so often you would see a pipe driven into the rock face cut for the road with the best water I have ever drank coming out of the pipes, we would drink our fill and drive on.

Now the water up in Paxton was another story back in 2015. It came from a water tank up on the mountain & was sent down to the lodge via gravity pipe. After awhile some people were getting sick & they had it tested. It had spider poop in it. We had to boil our water or go to town and haul water in there. They got it fixed after a couple of weeks but we stayed clear of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GhostMiner said:

Now the water up in Paxton was another story back in 2015. It came from a water tank up on the mountain & was sent down to the lodge via gravity pipe. After awhile some people were getting sick & they had it tested. It had spider poop in it. We had to boil our water or go to town and haul water in there. They got it fixed after a couple of weeks but we stayed clear of it.

One of the old timers who lived there full time said not to worry about the water & we'd get used to it LOL. But that guy was permanently preserved by alcohol.

• Haha 1

June 14   2002

We continue to take turns on night watch but there has been no sign of any hooligans as Jacob would call them. There has been no let up in the heat and the forecast is for more of the same. We shoveled gravel in the morning like there was no tomorrow. We all have gold fever in spades. Even Jacob has it I think. 

The crew took a long break between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM. We all had a beer and a little bit of food and Jacob brought over the gold weigh from yesterday’s 44 yards of washed gravel. He had a big smile on his face and we knew it was going to be a good one. I could hardly believe what he told us the weigh came to. There were 19.4 ounces in his jar.  Jacob laughed and said that if we hadn’t been so almighty lazy and would have shoveled into the tom another half hour we could have hit 20 ounces. We all had a good laugh and cracked open another round of cold beers before returning to the dig site. By day’s end we had processed another 40 yards of pay gravel.

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At this point in my journal from 2002 & looking back at things I wrote I am sure the crew was sitting on top of the world. We must have all thought we had it all figured out and were on our way to glory like the old timers of 1936. And then there's reality. Tonight, as I put this stuff out for all to read, I am missing Jacob & thinking about all he taught us about life and hard work and of course, mining. Here's to you Jacob - may your cup always be full. Cheers.

• Like 5