** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

31 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I'm starting to pull out my hair waiting for the next  post. 

I promise it's going to be an exciting weekend with the posts from Jed's journal. 

• Thanks 2

MAY 25  1936

Jacob woke me up after midnight last night. John was up and Will was at the edge of camp. He was on watch and woke up John and Jacob. He said there was something moving on our side of the creek just outside of camp. He thought he saw someone north of camp. We all had our rifles ready. I told Jacob and Will to stay put and keep a look out while John and I went out to have a look see. We split off about 100 feet apart and snuck up the east side of the creek keeping low. We got up to the north a ways and John hollered OVER THERE. I didn't see anything and ran over to where he was standing. John said he saw three or four men running up to the north. We took off on the run. Then we stopped and I could hear branches moving and breaking ahead of us maybe 100 feet or so. I told John they must have seen us. Not wanting to get drawn into a trap at night we decided to head back down to camp. 

Then we heard the crack of a rifle. Someone up there had shot at us. We couldn't see a thing. There was a half moon but they were well hidden. We scooted back to camp and told Will and Jacob what happened. John wanted to go back up and look for them but it was too dangerous and I talked him out of it. I think they were sneaking in on our camp to jump us when Will spotted them. We all four of us fired a volley up in that direction just for the hell of it and it was all quiet after that. We all sat around watching for an hour and then John took watch and the rest of us retired. 

In the morning at breakfast John was stirred up good. He said we had cut throats on the mountain and he would kill them if he found them. No one else said too much but we all knew we could get jumped at any time. I calmed John down and said we just need to keep watch like we are doing and we'll be alright. I'm sure they knew by now that we were getting gold. They also knew we would fight. 

So after breakfast we all went back to work. I think I worked harder than I ever have that day. Maybe it was to calm my nerves. We continued to dig the top gravels and made 205 buckets. Out of yesterdays 180 buckets we got two ounces. The gravels continue to be rich. We sat around for awhile after dark drinking whiskey and then I took first watch.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Got my seat ready. So I won't be interrupted 

http--10.jpg.1fdddbcc0c4a5cb186376be97ed84252.jpg

Ahhh..that's what you did with all yur gold!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Oh boy, I sense a

brawl is coming soon!

Don't mess with Jed & his crew. Bad idea.

Anyone who wants to is welcome to make a guess as to what is about to come down as far as Jed's crew & the gang of thugs. It's all coming to a head this weekend. Will they let the law dogs handle it? How would they even contact the law in time from a remote location? Remember, this is 1936. Will they be forced to negotiate with the gang? Will there be a fight or shootout? Or could something else take place? Will John get his wish? Can Jed control John at this point? 

• Like 1