** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

The thugs who roam this area just won't leave Jed's crew alone. I will be posting another entry in a bit. Going to get bumpy again so buckle up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterInSa said:

Re (We had mined over 800 ounces of gold in less than three months)

My estimate was 750 ozs in 6 months so if Jed and friends  find more I'm out of the running.

It's adding up.

They shoulda run him thru and hung 'im inna cage ta let the sun bleach 'is bones like a pirate that he is .

He'd solve who the mine title came from and make a AWESOME No Trespassing sign at the same time ! 😏 . arrrrrrrrr

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, PeterInSa said:

Re (We had mined over 800 ounces of gold in less than three months)

My estimate was 750 ozs in 6 months so if Jed and friends  find more I'm out of the running.

Up to & including July 12  1936 they have mined 811 ounces. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JULY 12   1936

There was some hope for us at the weigh and we got 1 and one half ounce. This was better than I expected. The day was not quite as hot as the previous days and we actually got a few unexpected sprinkles of rain. It felt good as we dug away but it didn’t last for long. We were now  cutting in a new trench as we looked for bedrock. The rock was still small and we moved it quite easily. I took a few pans throughout the day and was seeing some promise. We were getting down about 5 feet and made ramps at either end of the dig to walk the buckets out. It all seemed like familiar work to us and we hoped for good results. 

We called it a day about an hour before dark and hauled the last load of 198 buckets down to John. We helped him finish up the wash. John said we should stay on high alert as we now had to worry about the co operative gangsters. I told him that all we can do is take our turns on watch at night and have our guns at the ready. They might just be all bluster and trying out scare tactics on us to get us to sign up. I opened a bottle of whiskey and took first watch just after dark. Everything was quiet.  

TO BE CONTINUED .......................

• Like 9

Dear Jed:

Get the biggest rifle you can find and set it and the best shot in the camp up on the highest point that the gun still has enough wallop to blow a hole in the first attacker you could throw a cat through ,, and the rest of your crew start digging and GIT 'ER DONE !

One look at something like that would produce a scattering effect seldom ever and probably never seen in those gold fields.  

No , I didn't learn that on the touring circuit , though it might have come in handy a time or two . 

I know a very poilte "retired" Canuck special forces guy , he always said "terribly sorry" .

Great campfire stories , I have heard,,, if you think THIS one has you on the edge of your seat !   Personally , I would have of course preferred the already mentioned pirate method . Yo oh ! 

811 ozt ! Pfeeeeeeeeeeeewww  (kinda makes it hard to breath !) Good thing the hooligans  don't know that , it would certainly narrow that scatter effect. 

• Like 1