** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

Another window into Jed and his crew. Thanks.

One of the details that comes through so clearly in these tales

is just how tough these folks were back then. 

The work was back-breaking and the elements were harsh.

We can still see so many examples in the Sierra Nevada's

of the amount of work put in by the 49er's and the people who followed them.

Not many of us today could lead that way of life.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Another window into Jed and his crew. Thanks.

One of the details that comes through so clearly in these tales

is just how tough these folks were back then. 

The work was back-breaking and the elements were harsh.

We can still see so many examples in the Sierra Nevada's

of the amount of work put in by the 49er's and the people who followed them.

Not many of us today could lead that way of life.

I agree. I have done a small amount of work like that but not for long. 

8 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

. I have done a small amount of work like that but not for long. 

I thought it was a big deal when I was dredging in the mother lode rivers spending 8 to 10 hours a day underwater for a whole summer…but then when you spend two weeks working a hole through 12 feet of overburden only to find a Chinese coin in a crevice in the bedrock, you get real with yourself; those guys did it by hand after they flumed the whole section of the river they were working in first.

cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

I thought it was a big deal when I was dredging in the mother lode rivers spending 8 to 10 hours a day underwater for a whole summer…but then when you spend two weeks working a hole through 12 feet of overburden only to find a Chinese coin in a crevice in the bedrock, you get real with yourself; those guys did it by hand after they flumed the whole section of the river they were working in first.

cheers

The crew had a great leader with a plan & there was no quit in them. They mined out gold the old boys missed in the 1800's. And they missed a lot.

38 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

The crew had a great leader with a plan & there was no quit in them. They mined out gold the old boys missed in the 1800's. And they missed a lot.

It happens. In the 1840's there were more than 10,000 old boys in Dahlonega, GA area. And yet in the 1970's a Canadian found a pothole (glory hole) and found enough gold with his dredge to cover a full sized bed. Nobody gets it all. Mother earth is still hiding her secrets for others to discover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maxxkatt said:

It happens. In the 1840's there were more than 10,000 old boys in Dahlonega, GA area. And yet in the 1970's a Canadian found a pothole (glory hole) and found enough gold with his dredge to cover a full sized bed. Nobody gets it all. Mother earth is still hiding her secrets for others to discover.

Indeed. We are now discovering what Jed did not get to.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Thank you for a really great story. Reminds me of a Jack London book (?) on the Klondyke my father had, thick, mismatched, yellowed pages and all. Set me on the road to a geological career I've never regretted.

I guess that detectors won't be much use is pothole country given their relative depth limitations compared to a pothole. Have you used or considered using Ground Penetrating Radar in your current efforts? For that matter has anybody else on the forum used GPR as a companion to detectors? I've considered it but it's a big investment. In the US there should be contractors to use. It should work a treat on dry gravels over irregular bedrock which you seem to have. GPR is the go-to approach for dry-land, alluvial diamonds in Africa.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Off Grid said:

Thank you for a really great story. Reminds me of a Jack London book (?) on the Klondyke my father had, thick, mismatched, yellowed pages and all. Set me on the road to a geological career I've never regretted.

I guess that detectors won't be much use is pothole country given their relative depth limitations compared to a pothole. Have you used or considered using Ground Penetrating Radar in your current efforts? For that matter has anybody else on the forum used GPR as a companion to detectors? I've considered it but it's a big investment. In the US there should be contractors to use. It should work a treat on dry gravels over irregular bedrock which you seem to have. GPR is the go-to approach for dry-land, alluvial diamonds in Africa.

Very interesting & thank you.

Off Grid: you have a very good point.  Ground Penetrating Radar may be of value in detecting  depth to bedrock and possibly the unevenness of the bedrock surface.  This then could theoretically predict the presence of "kettles" and potential gold collection sites.  This link (https://www.guidelinegeo.com/ground-penetrating-radar-gpr/) provides a general overview of the process and its capabilities.  Another potential tool is a shallow seismic survey.  Such surveys can be conducted with field portable equipment and the energy source for the wave is either a "shot shell" or a sledge-hammer on a steel plate.  I have been involved with such surveys on abandoned mine tailings and seismic surveys worked well in that environment.  GM: From my experience it appears that it may be worthwhile to at least contact a vendor for a discussion of capabilities to learn if either method is a worthwhile tool for your specific application.  Just more food for thought and best wishes on your endeavor.

• Like 2