** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

5 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

It's really quite amazing to read of their successes, we are vicariously living our dreams through this timeless journal.

Thanks. I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of this crew. A real band of brothers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Thanks. I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of this crew. A real band of brothers.

When I'm at that dig site I feel like Jed's crew is right there with me sometimes.

• Like 3

JULY 22   1936

John finished up the weigh after breakfast and we had a treat in store. From the 145 buckets of trench gravels we got 2 ounces. When we weighed up the raised country gravels we had a heavy pan of 5 ounces for a total payday of 7 ounces. We were all happy and eager to dig more in the trench. We were just about to head up to the dig site when a group of seven greenhorns came trudging down the mountain in a big hurry. I hollered over to them and asked them how the gold was higher up the mountain. They came over close to our camp and we went over to talk with them. 

They told us that there was a good area about 4 miles or so up the creek but it had already been staked and filed. There was one big group that had all the good ground claimed and it was controlled by the co operative. They had armed thugs guarding the claims and no trespassing signs posted everywhere. A few people had tried to file some claims near the co operative area but were run off by the goons they employed. Everyone was packing up and heading back home. We wished them well as they walked down towards the road. 

John said it is only a matter of time before they come for our claims. I said it was possible but they know we will fight them. The guys they sent for us were cowards and had no heart in the fight. Perhaps that will keep them away. Time will tell.

Back up on the dig site we went to work with renewed vigor. The gravels dropped on either side of the raised area of country we had cleaned up and I tested some of the side pay. It showed good color and was worth working for sure. We knocked off a couple hours early due to extreme heat but still ended with 260 buckets. 

Down at camp John asked me how long I thought we would keep mining and if we had enough good areas to dig until winter. I told him there was no way to tell how many good pay streaks were left on the fault line but my best guess was there were a lot. And after that was all mined out we had the eastern drift mine to work. There are many years of mining left on the claims. He seemed relieved and said he was hoping to mine for a long while. That is my plan as well. I will mine gold as long as my body is able.

TO BE CONTINUED .................

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it is realistic to work a productive area like they did in the same manner they did just four guys &  picks and shovels. If so think of finding 3-7 oz of gold each day. Especially at today's gold prices. Or would you be tempted to bring in the heavy machinery? I guess that is what ghost miner is doing or something close, meaning not bringing in the heavy machinery.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, maxxkatt said:

I wonder if it is realistic to work a productive area like they did in the same manner they did just four guys &  picks and shovels. If so think of finding 3-7 oz of gold each day. Especially at today's gold prices. Or would you be tempted to bring in the heavy machinery? I guess that is what ghost miner is doing or something close, meaning not bringing in the heavy machinery.

The ground would need to be very rich to mine by pick and shovel not to mention the toll it takes on your body. Bringing in heavy equipment involves Forest Service Plans of Operations (POO's) and a Reclamation Bond. You are limited to 1000 cubic yards of disturbance for each plan. Anything over that level triggers the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act of 1975 (SMARA) which is a whole nother ballgame. That requires much more difficult, expensive, & time consuming permitting taking months to years with no guarantee you will get one. Welcome to mining. That's why in this case I want to work the ground as they did back in the day and not involve Federal, State, & County government. 

https://www.conservation.ca.gov/dmr/lawsandregulations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1