** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

4 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

This is one of the areas Jed's crew dug and is south of the first diggings. The slides caused by winter rain & snow have covered over their old diggings. It is actually on the side of the fault line well above the base. I don't think they spent much time here but rather were taking samples in an attempt to find mineable ground.

I see the red survey flags, are you GhostMiner looking at that particular spot. 

Just now, geof_junk said:

I see the red survey flags, are you GhostMiner looking at that particular spot. 

We had several good samples in that area & marked them. The kettel they are moving to needs sampled as well. It's 2000 ft south of their first workings.Today I would just use a drywasher instead of all the work getting water up to the south kettle. The site with the pictures and flag wouldn't be hard to get water as there is a pond just north and at higher elevation that wasn't there back in the 1930's. That pond is from a flooded mine shaft from 1965. 

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Been a while since I've commented on the thread GM.  What I find so fascinating is that this story occurred in 1936, and not 1880.  I have always thought of our country being pretty civilized by the 1900s.  Heck, I was born only 34 years after this story.   Surprising amount of gunplay going on.  Just goes to show that when you have something of value, and wide open spaces with little law enforcement, you have a recipe for conflict.    The fact that the Great Depression had just ended likely also added some fuel to the fire.

Thx again for your generous sharing and daily updates!  This is no small time commitment you've provided us all with!

Brian

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Zincoln said:

Been a while since I've commented on the thread GM.  What I find so fascinating is that this story occurred in 1936, and not 1880.  I have always thought of our country being pretty civilized by the 1900s.  Heck, I was born only 34 years after this story.   Surprising amount of gunplay going on.  Just goes to show that when you have something of value, and wide open spaces with little law enforcement, you have a recipe for conflict.    The fact that the Great Depression had just ended likely also added some fuel to the fire.

Thx again for your generous sharing and daily updates!  This is no small time commitment you've provided us all with!

Brian

Thanks for reading.