** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

36 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Sure is better than watching TV !

Absolutely better than Todd Hoffman's new show called Family Gold LOL.

• Like 4

East of Jed's dig site. Some pictures of the old water flume that ran 24 miles down the mountain to the big hydraulic gold mines. This was dug by hand back in the early 1870's. It's the flume Whiskey Jack talked about working on when he was young. 

030022ad.jpg

030022af.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

Ok, have to ask a stupid question. did they just dig a 24 mile trench? The flumes I have seen in north Georgia gold mining area were elevated wooden structures maybe going 1/2 mile or so. I wonder if there is color in this trench since it cut through 24 miles of gold bearing areas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

Ok, have to ask a stupid question. did they just dig a 24 mile trench? The flumes I have seen in north Georgia gold mining area were elevated wooden structures maybe going 1/2 mile or so. I wonder if there is color in this trench since it cut through 24 miles of gold bearing areas.

I've never walked it up the mountain but perhaps someday if I have the time it would be interesting to backpack and camp all the way up to starting point which was a small lake made by damming a creek. When it got to the bottom there was iron pipe that diminished in size to create water pressure for the monitors. Not sure if I have any pics of it. There is some left at bottom of mountain. Checking my files. Never checked for color but wouldn't be surprised. 

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

14 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Ok, have to ask a stupid question. did they just dig a 24 mile trench?

Yes. 27 miles to be  more exact. there were a few fumes across some intersecting gulches but mostly they stayed on contour to pick up water at every intersecting water source. 'Nuff said from here, this is Ghost Miners story.

There is a ditch that terminates on one of my claims that is 35+ miles long.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, deathray said:

Never a dull moment!

Not with this crew.

• Like 1

:sad:Just a hint to the followers of Jed's journal - September 1936 is going to be a bad month for one of the miners. 

• Like 1