** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

SEPTEMBER 14   1936

I was up real early again this morning and the smoke was gone. The rain had stopped sometime overnight and the sun was coming up. Everything was soaking wet and the air was cool. I think the rain has dampened down the wildfires. John went up and dug while I stayed on watch duty. I was bored as hell doing this and wanted to be digging again. I was actually thinking of trying to find someone in town to stand watch duty but wasn’t sure about it. Also, the gold production in the pit was way less than what we had got on the fault line and I’d have to pay a guard out of it. Either that or pay him out of my personal gold cache. I am not sure how long the season will last either. I think we have some time left to get more ounces in the bank. Maybe I’ll talk with the crew about this tonight. Jack will be in the ground tomorrow and we will take our turns going to say our prayers and goodbyes to him. That may be a good time to see if I can find a watchman.

When the crew got back to camp John had himself a great day and was grinning. There were 2 ounces in the jar. I told the crew my thoughts about finding a guard.  John said we needed to be careful about that but it might make sense to get us to the end of the season. He would need to have good references and be good with a rifle. I’m going to see what I can do tomorrow when John and me go to town.

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

10 hours ago, Muppet said:

Even if I've read the whole story and ending , I will buy a standard copy of the book so I can share it with my non computerised prospecting mates.

Maybe you need to set up a separate thread where we can pre order or atleast commit to a copy, that way you will have some idea of numbers for your 1st edition.

If its priced well , I would be 3 copies and gift a few to mates. Idea of approx price would be helpful.

Yes, I will be working on this eventually and put it on the classified. Thanks for your interest.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Was Jed's gold find the biggest on record?

The big companies mined 1.3 million ounces over a 30 yr period. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

8 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

The big companies mined 1.3 million ounces over a 30 yr period. 

There were several big companies working out there from about 1858 to late 1880's and even another company after that in early 1890's but they were smaller scale.

• Like 2

At todays gold prices it will still be profitable to work the area by hand if need be.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Matt4gold said:

At todays gold prices it will still be profitable to work the area by hand if need be.  

Yes if I could work a pick and shovel like those old boys did LOL. I'd have to take a pass on all that whiskey though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Thank you GM for taking the time to post this!

I caught a head cold last week (negative on the covid test). I started looking at stuff to read and THIS thread is all I've been reading!!

I like to read, however, I haven't read a book in years. Nothin really got me interested. Now I'm as hooked as I was as a kid when TV shows had weekly stories!

I'm finally caught up today and wanted to congratulate you on your endeavors. I really like Jed's writing style and have enjoyed all the comments too. I'm subscribed! TG

P.S. Can you at least let us know to look into the classifieds on this thread when you have the book ready? I don't want to miss out on one of the first editions! I'm subscribed and will be notified! Thanks!

• Like 5