Received My Bh-01 Bone Conduction Headphones Today

Steelheader

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Keep us informed on how you like them..

Not sure if this is true but someone said they will fit the Nox?  

I don’t know how unless you have an adapter to convert the multi-pin din plug to a 1/8” phono plug.  You could probably rig something up if you know the pin out on the bone phones.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I don’t know how unless you have an adapter to convert the multi-pin din plug to a 1/8” phono plug.  You could probably rig something up if you know the pin out on the bone phones.

Easy task figuring the pinout. Something that you think XP would have thought ..Extra sells if they fit another machine. But unfortunately most manufactures don't think like that. Easiest way would be to remove the fitting and replace it, but if the leads are the same as earphone buds, their hair thin with a lacquer coating. have to double up on my reading glasses..

Easy task figuring the pinout. Something that you think XP would have thought ..Extra sells if they fit another machine. But unfortunately most manufactures don't think like that.

I like what Garrett did with their Z-Lynk system.  It's incorporated into their higher end detectors but they've made it universal.  "Our headphones.  We can handle that.  Your headphones.  We can handle that....")  I use their transmitter and receiver set (in concunction with my headphones) with all my detectors except the ML Equinox (where I use the proprietary WM08 receiver).

Easiest way would be to remove the fitting and replace it, but if the leads are the same as earphone buds, their hair thin with a lacquer coating. have to double up on my reading glasses..

You're good at the garage mods, Joe.  So are phrunt and Steve H. and several others here.  I wonder if you guys ever even bother unplugging your soldering irons.  😁  But there are reasons companies discourage this -- those people with 10 thumbs, or more likely it's 10 big toes grafted onto their hands -- and then after they've botched things they blame the company.  Funny how people who can't do a stitch are also the ones who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, GB_Amateur said:
On 1/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Easy task figuring the pinout. Something that you think XP would have thought ..Extra sells if they fit another machine. But unfortunately most manufactures don't think like that.

I like what Garrett did with their Z-Lynk system.  It's incorporated into their higher end detectors but they've made it universal.  "Our headphones.  We can handle that.  Your headphones.  We can handle that....")  I use their transmitter and receiver set (in concunction with my headphones) with all my detectors except the ML Equinox (where I use the proprietary WM08 receiver).

To recap, this started with Joe musing whether the submersible wired XP bone phones would fit the Nox...

I replied not likely because they use a multi-pin connector (I don't have a set of XP bone phones yet in my possession so I am relying on info in the XP Deus II User Manual).

Then the subsequent comment "Something that you think XP would have thought" putting this on XP as lacking forethought to make the phones more universally compatible, presumably by using a more universally compatible connector (like the Nox's threaded 1/8" mini phone plug).  

Chuck chimed in with a tangent regarding Garrett's universal wireless Z-Lynk system. 

Well, there is a really good, but complex story behind why the specialized XP bone phone connector is used, and it is not because XP wasn't thinking about universal compatibility 🤔 or was trying to make detectorists' lives miserable :rolleyes:.

Read on if interested...

While I am a big fan of using universally compatible standard connectors and  wireless standards (e.g., Bluetooth) and agree with Chuck's sentiment on the convenience of the universal Z-Lynk system, which is currently my favorite wireless system, we are talking DIVE-RATED WIRED phones here. 

Wireless is not applicable (hence my tangent comment) and common to manufacturer past practice regarding submersible connectors, the sad fact is that watertight connectors are likely not going to be universal across brands.  Garrett AT series, Nokta waterproof units, Tarsacci MDT 8000, all use different types of submersible multi-pin connectors.  Nox uses a standard 1/8" phone plug but a screw in backshell/sleeve, and I seriously doubt this design would be reliable at 20 meters depth.

Complicating things further, the connector on the XP remote that the XP bone phones plug into is multi-purpose, similar to the connector on the Nokta waterproof detectors.  Besides audio output, the XP multi-purpose connector is also used to provide charging power to the remote and is also a bi-directional data port to enable firmware uploads and perhaps remote control configuration and programming.

So regardless of whether XP thought about using universal connectors for bone phone compatibility with other audio sources (e.g., the XP headset pucks, the original Deus remote, or even other detector brands) it was apparent that both the dive-rated watertight design requirement and multipurpose nature of the Deus II connector were constraints that pretty much locked in a "special purpose" bone phone connector design lacking universal compatibility.

329397419_SmartSelect_20220130-141451_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.ef1d061c24e700d73ebddaa55b9bb056.jpg

1085809086_SmartSelect_20220130-141611_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.6aabd0a1d68b6a11275678e7f0a385e0.jpg

XP does provide an accessory adapter cable that enables you to plug a wired headset with a standard 1/8" phone plug into the Deus II remote.  But that still does not enable the Bone Phones to be plugged into anything other than the XP Deus II remote.

See below:

497781382_SmartSelect_20220130-141714_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.423cb1828c3dccaf13db6dd0a2560c8a.jpg

My apologies, Joe, if your comment was simply addressing XP providing a pinout on the special connector.  

All this being said, I think XP should really consider making a simple adapter that accepts the special bone phone multi-pin connector and converts the output to a 1/8" mini phone plug (sort of the inverse to the adapter above).  This would enable non-submerged use of the bone phones with the detacheable XP headphone pucks and the puck headphone clip-on jack adapter plate (below)

1121107483_SmartSelect_20220130-142322_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.0931d626a7574f294a4e575ba1efae28.jpg519027365_SmartSelect_20220130-142149_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.3b423e7da382ab8f4140881ddcf5e165.jpg

...as well as providing compatibility with the original Deus and other detectors that accommodate 1/8" headphone plugs.

HTH

• Like 3

That is what I am hoping for.  That XP or someone else will make an adapter to convert the bone phone plug to a 1/8 plug for land use, so I can plug it into my ws6 puck.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Steelheader said:

Even though I haven’t got my Deus ll yet (It’s on pre-order) I went ahead and ordered the bone phones for it.  They came from France, and I was surprised how fast they got here.  I’m hoping that they will work well with my hearing aids.  Right now with the Deus I am removing my hearing aids and plugging earphones into the ws4 puck.  With the bone phones I am hoping that I can wear my hearing aids while I am detecting.

why can't  you use the Deus wireless headphones while still using your hearing aids?   Like you said about other headphones I didn't like the stock Nox headphones with others that I plug into the WM08 and the headphones don't feedback too much or I have to turn the hearing aids down bit still can use them. 

Part of my hearing aid sits behind my ear and when I wear the ws4 with the headband it presses my ear down onto  my hearing aid.  It doesn’t take very long before my ears start hurting from the pressure.  The larger headphones that fit completely over the ears don’t make my ears hurt, but they cause feedback which is a high pitched squealing noise that is very annoying.  According to my hearing doctor my hearing loss is pretty severe.

14 hours ago, Steelheader said:

Part of my hearing aid sits behind my ear and when I wear the ws4 with the headband it presses my ear down onto  my hearing aid.  It doesn’t take very long before my ears start hurting from the pressure.  The larger headphones that fit completely over the ears don’t make my ears hurt, but they cause feedback which is a high pitched squealing noise that is very annoying.  According to my hearing doctor my hearing loss is pretty severe.

You will be using it on land only correct? Not submerged?

Got my Bone phones, know more once I get the M-8 6 pin bulkhead fitting. Audio seems a little low with the excalibur but I do need a good solid connection and some adjusting on my head, noticed when I move around they get louder. The pin out is...

And this is looking into the BP fitting.. 

InkedSNAG-0001_LI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steelheader said:

Yes, dry land metal detecting.

Think I found the correct fitting, see how well the bulkhead fitting I have coming works. If it works fine this fitting would be the one that is used to plug the bonephones into.. 

Do you (or anyone) have a picture of  "1/8" mini phone plug" that you use to plug into your "detachable XP headphone puck"

My bad is I should have ordered this one (instead of the bulkhead) and made a M-8 6 pin (female) to M-12 8 pin (male) CTX fitting cable which I still may.

SNAG-0000.jpg

SNAG-0001.jpg