Steve's Detector Rods Is Now An Official Tarsacci Dealer!

steveg

Hi, all!

I just wanted to let everyone who may be interested know that I've now branched out a bit; in addition to my shaft-building, Steve's Detector Rods is now an official Tarsacci dealer

I purchased an MDT 8000 about 6 months ago, after meeting Dimitar at a detecting event, and spending a good bit of time speaking with him there, and later by phone.  After he engaged me in a one-on-one demonstration of the unit, and the technology that powers it, it became obvious pretty quickly that the MDT 8000 breaks some "new ground," especially in terms of dealing with mineralized dirt.  And sure enough, and after using the unit for awhile, I can confirm that the way it performs in my irony-red Oklahoma clay dirt is nothing short of impressive.  With 12" coil attached, and after extensive testing both in my test garden, and in a "real-world" site that I'm uniquely and intimately familiar with, I can confidently confirm that I get an inch to inch-and-a-half of additional depth, as compared to any of the other units I've used/tested -- INCLUDING multiple iterations of Minelab FBS units, and the Multi-IQ platform found in the Equinox.

While I'm still learning the unit, I feel that what it has proven capable of has earned it a permanent place in my detector line-up, and as such, I feel that I'm able to throw my support behind the machine in terms of willingness to become a dealer.  

Again, though not yet an "expert" user by any stretch, I feel I know enough about it that I'm now in a place where I can assist any customer who is interested in a possible purchase, as well as help out with post-sale questions or advice on set-up or operation.  

My website is not yet up-to-date to reflect my partnership with Tarsacci, but I'm happy to offer any information needed, along with pricing on the various packages, to anyone who may be interested.

Last but not least, I build aftermarket shafts for the MDT 8000, and I'm even working with Dimitar (the company owner/design engineer) to be able to offer a possible "package deal," where the unit could be sent with one of my custom two-piece lower shafts, as opposed to the factory shaft.  Now, I will honestly say that the MDT 8000's stock carbon-fiber shaft is as high-quality of a shaft as I've ever seen on a machine.  However, one thing that is not offered by Tarsacci is a "tall-man" lower rod.  And so, for those needing a bit of extra length, I can offer that, via my two-piece lower shaft setup -- in the same carbon-fiber pattern and appearance as the stock shaft In addition, my shaft is substantially smaller in diameter than the stock shaft, which is an advantage for folks using their unit in the water -- as the thinner diameter substantially reduces "hydrodynamic drag," thus requiring less effort when swinging the shaft underwater.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm now an official dealer, and would be glad to talk all things "Tarsacci" with anyone who may be interested.  Just send me an email, to "steve@stevesdetectorrods.com," and I'll be glad to assist.

Thanks!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

email:  steve@stevesdetectorrods.com

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 8

I'm glad to hear your news. Start making a list of all of us who want Dimitar to make a smaller coil!

• Like 2

JCR  

When I ask Dimitar about the lower shaft and he said he had them for 65 dollars. I also ask about a smaller coil and he didn’t say a word about that.

Chuck 

It doesn't hurt to ask.

I think I MIGHT have a guess as why Dimitar has not seemed to be real "hot" on, or "enthusiastic" about a smaller coil.  And note, I MAY be wrong, and would love to hear the thoughts of others.

First, the focus with the design intent of the MDT 8000 is in handling "bad dirt," to achieve more depth.  And with that being the focus, a small coil is antithetical to the idea of "more depth." 

But more importantly, the MDT stands of course for "Mixed-Domain Technology," which means, it's not a "VLF" unit, like we are all used to using.  In VLF world, the idea of using a smaller coil footprint to be able to "hunt better in trash" is something that we are all used to.  But I wonder if this concept may not apply as much, from a physics perspective, with a hybrid/time-domain unit.  I MAY be wrong, as I have never owned a pulse unit, but do users of PI detectors frequently push for "smaller" coils?  From the uneducated, rather ignorant glances over in the "PI direction" that I occasionally take, what I usually see is the push for LARGER coils.  That's in line with the objectives of a PI unit.  And so, when one realizes that part of the design of the MDT 8000 includes time domain/pulse-induction type functionality, then perhaps this is part of why it's a bit counter-intuitive to Dimitar to enthusiastically move in that direction.

And I note, this is NOT anything that Dimitar has said to me.  I have never broached this subject with him.  I just wonder if this isn't part of it.  Time-domain units, as I have understood (and MAY be wrong) don't deal with trash so much by trying to do so with a smaller "coil footprint," they do so by allowing you to choose different pulse delays, which make some types of metal more visible to the machine, and others more invisible.  And that is a different paradigm, as compared to VLF.  So, I wonder if a smaller coil to deal with trash, is applying the wrong paradigm to this particular technology to some degree?

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,    I suspect you are very close to the reasons that need to be considered.

When I spoke to Dimitar on the telephone about different aspects of the MDT 8000 & I mentioned a smaller coil, he seemed to question why. I told him to be able to get a better peek between the nails with fewer of them under the coil at the same time. He asked what size I had in mind & I said about 7-8" round or 6X8" elliptical. He basically left me with the impression that IF he could justify an increase in performance for that type of hunting & there was sufficient demand he would consider making it. In the meantime he suggested some settings to try in the nails, lower Sensitivity(1-3), higher SB&GB values& experimenting with Black Sand filter. He also suggested trying the Stock coil. I have since purchased one & am experimenting with it. That suggests a smaller coil may be a viable concept. That is where I am at for now.

As a Tarsacci dealer, I sure hope you will take it upon yourself to make your learning & experiences with the MDT known to the forums. There is not enough solid info for us Relic/Bad dirt hunters out there. Your red dirt is similar to mine & many others & it's funky stuff. I want Tarsacci to succeed long term, I want to see the next evolution of MDT that Dimitar is working on.

• Like 3

JCR -- 

Interesting , thanks for sharing.  

Yes, I will do what I can to share my thoughts with others regarding the unit.

The issue for me, for now, until I learn it better, is that I only hunt with the Tarsacci in limited areas.  I am not yet confident to take it into a trashy park, and let 'er rip.  I am not good enough with the unit yet, and so for me, it helps with the learning curve (i.e. not to overload my brain TOO much) to hunt in SPECIFIC sites where I know the sites VERY well.  That way, I know what I EXPECT to hear in the ground, and thus when the Tarsacci sees it, it's easier for me to interpret what it's telling me.  I also am aiming for SPECIFIC targets in these sites -- in other words, I KNOW I have cleaned out essentially EVERY coin-like target down to 9" deep, and so all I have to do is focus on the DEEPEST non-ferrous targets (i.e. the soft tones, which are of course either very small, or very deep).

BUT -- the result of this "targeted" usage of the MDT is that I don't use it every time I hunt, and thus I don't learn it as quickly as I otherwise would (and thus, less info to share).  First and foremost, I'm an old coin hunter, and often am doing so in trashy spots.  SO, when my buddies want to go coin hunt at a trashy site, I still opt for the Equinox (and honestly, when cherry-picking coins in a trashy site, I might ALWAYS opt for a unit other than the Tarsacci, for certain specific reasons that you probably already know).  That is not the Tarsacci's "sweet spot."  BUT -- it's definitely a tool to be used in certain sites, and in many of them, it is a CLEAR "trump card" for those sites.  

I expect there are other surprises there to unlock; I'm nearly sure of it.  More experience on the unit should help me to unlock those -- such that I may find myself using it in a greater diversity of sites than I currently am thinking.  But I can say this...if I were Civil War relic hunting in bad dirt, this would be a go-to machine for me without a doubt.

Steve

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, steveg said:

I MAY be wrong, as I have never owned a pulse unit, but do users of PI detectors frequently push for "smaller" coils? 

Yes, constantly. It’s not about depth, but fitting into physically small areas, between stumps, large rocks, and down into small pockets, or deep crevices, etc.

Steve --

Makes sense.  I stand corrected!

Next time I talk with Dimitar, I'll bring up the small coil topic.

Steve