Jump to content

World Class Arizona Nugget Recent Find


Recommended Posts

The Minelab site says:

”I found a very large 61.5 oz gold nugget in the mountains of Arizona.

Brandon– South & Central America”

Argentina Third Largest Gold Producer in South America

https://rruff-2.geo.arizona.edu/uploads/CM42_169.pdf

9C0F8C5F-D082-4047-8FE7-C13D0445AEEA.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think that about ends the question of where it was found, it all fits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the second largest nugget ever found in AZ (US). What a beauty!! 28 troy oz specimen, 22 troy oz gold. Estimated insurance value: $140,000. It didn't make it through the grizzly and was hence rejected from the hopper. Apparently, it ended up being kind of a sun baker in the header pile! One more reason to check out the header piles, not just the tailing piles.

 

The nugget came from Oatman, AZ. Below is a snapshot of the Oatman mining district, with highway 10 going right through the area. Heavily claimed up by mining corporations. But still some potentially unclaimed spots here and there from what I can initially tell. Might be worthwhile exploring with the new ML tech..... 

 

Oatman.thumb.JPG.5de0d73315f558fdb38b084102ad956b.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Here is the second largest nugget ever found in AZ (US). What a beauty!! 28 troy oz specimen, 22 troy oz gold. Estimated insurance value: $140,000. It didn't make it through the grizzly and was hence rejected from the hopper. Apparently, it ended up being kind of a sun baker in the header pile! One more reason to check out the header piles, not just the tailing piles.

The nugget came from Oatman, AZ. Below is a snapshot of the Oatman mining district, with highway 10 going right through the area. Heavily claimed up by mining corporations. But still some potentially unclaimed spots here and there from what I can initially tell. Might be worthwhile exploring with the new ML tech..... 

 

Oatman.thumb.JPG.5de0d73315f558fdb38b084102ad956b.JPG

That map has many miles of potential and I always say if there has been one of a certain size found, there has to be a big brother or sister.  

Another thing you bring up is throw out piles.  I have found so much gold in throw out piles it's laughable at times.  But I also realize the majority of gold is fine Au.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gerry, I would never call you a big mouth, but I think you could fit this one in. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

  The nugget shown in this post is a "genuine Arizona Gold Nugget."  The owner/finder is a close and personal friend and long time Minelab customer.  The nugget was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000.  He submitted the gold nugget in one of Minelab Find of the Month deal and from what he said he didn't win anything .... 

Big gold nuggets are still being found like this (although very rare) , but many don't get reported due to the rarity and high collector value.  

Hope this helps clarify the "unknown" about this piece.

Rob

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh my! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob Allison said:

  The nugget shown in this post is a "genuine Arizona Gold Nugget."  The owner/finder is a close and personal friend and long time Minelab customer.  The nugget was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000.  He submitted the gold nugget in one of Minelab Find of the Month deal and from what he said he didn't win anything .... 

That would be the largest raw nugget ever found in Arizona to my knowledge if it's true and can be proven/verified. Bud Guthrie's Lost Basin 70+ ouncer had a lot of quartz in it, so I'm not sure that counts? Can anyone think of one larger? Lots of 20-30 ouncers but that is where history kinda stops to my knowledge. 

I'm curious just for the historic record, if there is some kind of definite proof and/or verification it was definitely found in AZ other than word of mouth? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

  The nugget shown in this post is a "genuine Arizona Gold Nugget."  The owner/finder is a close and personal friend and long time Minelab customer.  The nugget was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000.  He submitted the gold nugget in one of Minelab Find of the Month deal and from what he said he didn't win anything .... 

Big gold nuggets are still being found like this (although very rare) , but many don't get reported due to the rarity and high collector value.  

Hope this helps clarify the "unknown" about this piece.

Rob

 

 

Wow Rob, my first detector, a Micronta 3001, could have found that nugget. Probably just like the guy who found the Boot of Cortez lunker nugget in Mexico with a Radio Shack beeper. So why buy a GPZ??  😃

Interesting backstory on your friend's nugget - what a beauty! It is inspirational seeing these and knowing they are still out there...somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jasong said:

That would be the largest raw nugget ever found in Arizona to my knowledge if it's true and can be proven/verified. Bud Guthrie's Lost Basin 70+ ouncer had a lot of quartz in it, so I'm not sure that counts? Can anyone think of one larger? Lots of 20-30 ouncers but that is where history kinda stops to my knowledge. 

I'm curious just for the historic record, if there is some kind of definite proof and/or verification it was definitely found in AZ other than word of mouth? 

 

If you flip it over it has made in Arizona printed on the bottom.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

  The nugget shown in this post is a "genuine Arizona Gold Nugget."  The owner/finder is a close and personal friend and long time Minelab customer.  The nugget was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000.  He submitted the gold nugget in one of Minelab Find of the Month deal and from what he said he didn't win anything .... 

Big gold nuggets are still being found like this (although very rare) , but many don't get reported due to the rarity and high collector value.  

Hope this helps clarify the "unknown" about this piece.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I don't think anyone is doubting the nugget being real. It is just unclear whether it was found in Mexico or the United States. If you read the rest of the thread, I don't think your post really clears that up. It could still be a "genuine Arizona" - Mexico - gold nugget.

I'm not accusing anyone of lying. I just think the way it is written, and where the guy is from, and normally hunts, plus the fact there is a Arizona Mexico, that does produce gold.... raises the question still in my mind.

That said, not worth any more thought on my part. Somebody found a gold nugget. It was not me, and I don’t really care if it was found in Arizona or Mexico. I also don't think a particular model or brand finding something really proves anything. So.... whatever. :smile:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...