54 minutes ago, Geotech said:

From his comment I'd say Luis wasn't involved in the test, he only posted it. I think this was a recent outing by Alexandre to evaluate some design changes. I have no info on whether the AQ will get back to production; my vote is 'no' unless the pod is redesigned.

The AQ is a really good design (circuit-wise) and should be able to beat the new MF designs in depth. I agree that the iron masking works well with isolated targets but in heavy iron it struggles. I hunted around fire pits on an Oregon beach and the cheeps and chirps that get through the audio make it a real chore to use. In fairness, many VLFs tend to do the same. It's a shame this was pitched as "discrimination" or "iron ID" or "tone ID" etc etc. I wish we had seriously undersold this feature and let people figure out its value. It is useful in some situations.

that's how it is.  I just posted it.  only seen on facebook

• Like 4

The AQ tests pretty well in surface air tests and other tests using a brand new nail or similar. Do that same test with a rusty bobby pin down deep and see what happens. I don't find too many shiny new nails on the beach sitting on top of the sand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cudamark said:

The AQ tests pretty well in surface air tests and other tests using a brand new nail or similar. Do that same test with a rusty bobby pin down deep and see what happens. I don't find too many shiny new nails on the beach sitting on top of the sand.

I don't think it is a rust thing. Bobby pins and hair clips that spring back in shape are difficult at times. I think it has more to do with the alloy than rust. They act similar to the crab trap and fence pieces that have a continuous conductive loop ... but the hair pins, if swept from the right direction, give a very distinct double beep.

• Like 2

One thing for sure there is a Market for a Good DEEP... submersible Pi that goes beep. I kind of seen all coming with the AQ ..one reason I got a second unit. And I believe there were a few others who seen the same thing and took the chance. Kind of reminds me of all the other rare PI's out there, one being the Barracuda.

• Like 5

I'm not in favour or against any machine involved in this test but....

Honestly, after I tested the D2, frankly speaking I don't understand the meaning to use a 0 reactivity in such condition.

Also, the minimum signal still audible at that level, clearly say to investigate more.

I suppose at 1.5 or 2 was the honest reactivity to put in the game.

I'd love an AQ and I was one of the more interested for It, but facts are clear and there's no way for me to dive with It...Wait...when Is another unknown factor.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, tvr said:

I don't think it is a rust thing. Bobby pins and hair clips that spring back in shape are difficult at times. I think it has more to do with the alloy than rust. They act similar to the crab trap and fence pieces that have a continuous conductive loop ... but the hair pins, if swept from the right direction, give a very distinct double beep.

It is a shape issue - thin and elongated. That's why the double blip - elongated ferrous items act like bar magnets with a field effect/signal at each end. And the double blip trick does not work at depth, or if the item is oriented anything less than horizontal. With bottle caps its being round plus alloys. Any anything round with a hole, like a washer - good luck.

These ferrous demos ignore a simple fact. Use a PI around a lot of ferrous and you are going to dig plenty, and at good depths, compounding the issue. This photo is an excellent and accurate representation of Fisher AQ results people should expect, taken by one of the main testers of the early model. There is a nice haul of rings, yes, but as is the norm in PI use, a lot of junk was dug for those rings.

Don't fall the the inaccurate and hyped up discrimination claims - believe real world results. Look very hard at this photo by an expert operator. It is the pure fact of AQ and how well it handles trash with an expert behind the wheel. It shows what I saw myself - that you will dig plenty of ferrous, especially old balls of decomposed ferrous "stuff" plus numerous elongated and round ferrous, often well encased in rust. The lower pile in this photo is all typical decomposed ferrous encase in various coral growth or sediment accreted by the rust. I’ve found many pounds of these types of targets with PI detectors in Hawaii, and the AQ is doing nothing genuinely different. I consider the see ring through clean nails thing nothing more than an old sales trick, not new, and not reflective of reality.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11450-fisher-impulse-aq-unboxing-first-photos/?do=findComment&comment=111952

IMG_0241.JPG

None of this ever surprised me, and I don't really hold it against the AQ, but rather the hype surrounding it. I even tried my best to counter that hype early on, as I want the machine to succeed, and I think over inflated expectations are the surest way to end up failing.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11421-fisher-impulse-aq-discrimination-explanation/

This photo is of some of my finds with the Infinium in Hawaii, and the only difference between my finds and the ones in the photo above is hours and volume.

coins-rings-junk-metal-detecting-kauai.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

With bottle caps its being round plus alloys. Any anything round with a hole, like a washer - good luck.

Bottle caps and washers can be difficult to eliminate with VLF's too. I'll leave it at that and just keep having fun detecting once we get moved and unpacked. All detectors are packed, ready to move to wide open beaches. Cheers!

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, tvr said:

As a surface bobby pin, yes, but, in my experience, it doesn't double beep at depth.

• Like 1