I think one reason I dig very little trash with the AQ is where I hunt and what I dig. The waters here are a great classifier of targets by their weight, size and shape. Very rare for me to dig a bobby pin, maybe they were not around in the 50's and earlier? Plus I've learned to go thru areas first with the excalibur and come back ASAP to hit areas with the least amount of trash with the AQ... digging faints only and skipping shallows. All Metal only..

21W.jpg

21d.jpg

20200904_210205.jpg

20201004_224137.jpg

20201209_001503.jpg

• Like 6

Nice haul! Congrats on the great hunt.  

Here are some of my whispers from the other day.

IMG_5028.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not saying that I haven't found targets with the AQ, it's just I haven't found anything good that my Equinox, Etrac, Excalibur, etc, wouldn't have found. Now, deep iron targets? Sure, I've found bobby pins and other iron junk 18+ inches down, but, so what? I usually hunt with all my machines set as hot as I can stand and dig everything except dead iron targets. In the case of the AQ, I dig everything. With my other machines, I average 1-2 rings every hunt. I have yet to find a ring with the AQ. Bad luck? I suppose, but, I would have figured the odds would have turned around by now having used this thing for over 200 hours. Since it's not a fun detector to use, I now just use it for specific hunts......mainly ones with deep targets in areas without much junk. Otherwise, I would rather use a machine that is fun to use and avoid the deep iron.

It's nothing more than the old PI versus VLF debate. Raw power versus discrimination. The AQ promised to somehow make PI detecting more like VLF detecting, but sorry, no, it's still pretty much the same game.

Anyway, I'm still going to hope FT gets a proper AQ to market, as the machine is a very good beach PI, with a real possibility of being the best ever, if they can just work off the rough edges. I'll certainly be game for getting another, if and when that time ever comes.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2022 at 1:13 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Very rare for me to dig a bobby pin, maybe they were not around in the 50's and earlier?

According to WikipediaBobby pins became popular in the 1920s to hold the new bobbed hairstyles.

Do they rust away?  It seems in my parks I very rarely dig crown caps with cork liners, and when I do the metal is crumbling.  I figure these earlier ones (maybe a different alloy than today) only have 50-60 year lifespan before they revert back to nature.

It's also possible that their deterioration causes them to only ID in the iron range, which I almost never dig in any site (gold prospecting being the exception).

Do you salt water detectorists (and salt water beach detectorists) find cork-lined crown caps?

• Like 3

I don't

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

According to WikipediaBobby pins became popular in the 1920s to hold the new bobbed hairstyles.

Do they rust away?  It seems in my parks I very rarely dig crown caps with cork liners, and when I do the metal is crumbling.  I figure these earlier ones (maybe a different alloy than today) only have 50-60 year lifespan before they revert back to nature.

It's also possible that their deterioration causes them to only ID in the iron range, which I almost never dig in any site (gold prospecting being the exception).

Do you salt water detectorists (and salt water beach detectorists) find cork-lined crown caps?

Those bobby pins mostly rust bigger than they originally were 😄 I do find some at the beach that are almost gone but they do seem to stay solid for a long time. I haven't found any cork lined caps yet but I've only been doing beaches for a limited time. Maybe the crown cap rust away and only the cork is left. Unless you stumble onto the cork part by accident, we'll never know if it is sitting in all that vast sand.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Maybe the crown cap rust away and only the cork is left. Unless you stumble onto the cork part by accident, we'll never know if it is sitting in all that vast sand.

One thing's for sure, in my dry land sites anyway, the plastic liners don't deteriorate.  If I find a rusty crown cap with no liner I assume it's because the cork deteorated away, although given how many aluminum pieces that were meant NOT to be broken off or removed are laying around loose I wouldn't put it past the idiots to remove the plastic liners from the caps and toss them, too.

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could have been BP's at one time but things here are constantly moving, specially where I hunt these spots at...several hundred feet off shore. 

Here, out deep, I dig everything (AM, faints, one way signals, ghost signals, Anything that is a hint of a target), until I get a good solid hit (possible one, two three scoops)..then I check it in discriminate with a quick push of the disc button. I wish I had a record of how many of those faints, nulls or no signal in disc, were gold. And that is with the excalibur. The AQ I dig only the deep targets..skipping shallow.

Never dug a crown cap with the cork.. being a lite target (with surface area) .. more than likely they were washed in close to shore. One area I stay away from...at most beaches.  Possible Deus ll area..in the future.

5 hours ago, cudamark said:

I'm not saying that I haven't found targets with the AQ, it's just I haven't found anything good that my Equinox, Etrac, Excalibur, etc, wouldn't have found. Now, deep iron targets? I average 1-2 rings every hunt. I have yet to find a ring with the AQ. Bad luck? I suppose, but, I would have figured the odds would have turned around by now having used this thing for over 200 hours.

Sorry to hear cudamark, I've found there are places the AQ is a burden, sounds like all your surrounded by.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It's nothing more than the old PI versus VLF debate. Raw power versus discrimination. The AQ promised to somehow make PI detecting more like VLF detecting, but sorry, no, it's still pretty much the same game.

Anyway, I'm still going to hope FT gets a proper AQ to market, as the machine is a very good beach PI, with a real possibility of being the best ever, if they can just work off the rough edges. I'll certainly be game for getting another, if and when that time ever comes.

From the very beginning all I wanted was a deep PI, which is just what I bought it for... some pushed the discriminate side of the machine which was a big mistake. And I have the feeling they are going to continue if it goes to market. And honestly, I think the AQ is to Hot for many....... "in the saltwater" locations. 

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter
11 hours ago, cudamark said:

I'm not saying that I haven't found targets with the AQ, it's just I haven't found anything good that my Equinox, Etrac, Excalibur, etc, wouldn't have found. Now, deep iron targets? Sure, I've found bobby pins and other iron junk 18+ inches down, but, so what? I usually hunt with all my machines set as hot as I can stand and dig everything except dead iron targets. In the case of the AQ, I dig everything. With my other machines, I average 1-2 rings every hunt. I have yet to find a ring with the AQ. Bad luck? I suppose, but, I would have figured the odds would have turned around by now having used this thing for over 200 hours. Since it's not a fun detector to use, I now just use it for specific hunts......mainly ones with deep targets in areas without much junk. Otherwise, I would rather use a machine that is fun to use and avoid the deep iron.

Bad luck, or what it your time spent with AQ unit was digging junk/iron?  I refer to this as effective time management.  I wonder if one had VLF with meter and pretty good ID capability (can differentiate low, medium and higher conductors even deeper ones) that was say 13” deep on gold ring.  Yet the pi unit was 15” deep on Same gold ring — wet sand scenario.  So which unit will find most gold rings?  Which unit when used will operator dig the most holes?  Personally I think PIs are out at beaches unless black is present.  But folks can use what they want.

Cheers.