Benefits Of Simultaneous Multi-frequency - Or Smoke And Mirrors?

On 1/26/2022 at 6:29 PM, UtahRich said:

I've been a user of SMF detectors since they were first introduced waaaaay back in the early 90's with the Fisher CZ-6 and its' competitor, the Minelab Sovereign.  I went with the CZ-6 because it was in a better package.   CZ-6, CZ-6a, Explorer XS, Etrac, Equinox 800, and now waiting on a Deus 2.  I have a lot of years on them. 

There have been endless discussions on the marketing vs real world frequencies actually used.   All that aside, I ask these questions for a couple friends -

Below are some of the claimed benefits i hear related to Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.  If true, how?

How does simultaneous multi-frequency impact / improve dealing with the ground signal?

How does simultaneous multi-frequency impact / improve dealing with a salt signal on the wet salt water beach?

How does simultaneous multi-frequency impact / improve Target ID at Depth?

Any other claimed benefits I left out ?

I will direct a couple pair of eyes over here to evaluate your responses.

Thanks,

UtahRich - 

They are not “claims”, they are facts based on science. Watch the videos at this link:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3193-selectable-frequency-and-multiple-frequency/

It’s fairly simple. Multi provides more information for processing than single frequency, which improves the various aspects you have brought up. All that was holding it back was lack of processing power, and that hurdle no longer exists. People can be as skeptical as they want, but skepticism does not change reality.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Benefits Of Simultaneous Multi-frequency - Or Smoke And Mirrors?

On 1/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, Geotech said:

FTP does contract manufacturing at the Juarez facility but metal detectors are still the primary business.

Then they really are in trouble. They are losing the high end, and chasing the low end is a race to the bottom. Reminds me of Homelite and many other companies that took similar paths. It never ends well. 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, Geotech said:

The CZX was not an updated CZ, it was a completely new design. It was specifically designed for prospecting and that's where it failed. I tried to get people to shift the project to coin/relic/beach but was unsuccessful.

FTP does contract manufacturing at the Juarez facility but metal detectors are still the primary business.

Good to know.  Here's the slides that were leaked:

fisher-czx-2016fisher-mosca-2016

On 1/27/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

Abenson,

Great post and I couldn't agree more.  I also have tested my Etrac against my Equinox and have realized similar results.  I loved my Etrac in its day but the way iron would give me a very slight high tone, making deep iron sound like a possible deep silver coin, just doesn't happen with the Equinox.  Yes on very, very rare occasions it was a deep silver, but more often than not it was deep iron.  The Equinox really changed the game.

I also concur with your views on the Fisher CZ, White's DFX and Garrett Apex.  In heavy iron they are just too much work.  It would be interesting to see if First Texas ever revisits the CZ series and tries to upgrade the technology.  Based on their complete lack of new technology development, save the Impulse AQ (which they brought in from the outside), I have my doubts if this will ever happen.  Similarly Garrett could take a run at the DFX.  As to the Apex, my hope is that Garrett takes the multi used in this machine and refines it for future models.  On saltwater beaches the Apex is a real sleeper, but inland it needs some work.

Bill (S. CA)

Bill from what I gather, Garret is currently breaking down the codes to the Whites V3i detector and looking to make a new chapter in the Garret lineup in the not so distant future.  I've also heard that the Apex line could be getting a new addition soon.  What some are calling the ATApex.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jason-NEK said:

Bill from what I gather, Garret is....

Would you be willing to reveal your source(s), or are you claiming journalits's privilege😏

• Like 1

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Would you be willing to reveal your source(s), or are you claiming journalits's privilege😏

Just an observation made.  No sources to reveal here as I dont work for Garrett :-)

8 minutes ago, Jason-NEK said:

Just an observation made.  No sources to reveal...

Good to know, but your previous post included:

26 minutes ago, Jason-NEK said:

from what I gather,... and ...I've also heard...

There are certainly a lot of rumors flying around on about any subject one wants to investigate.  I don't know if the social media explosion has led to the practice of people saying anything they wish to say without pointing out it is purely their speculation or opinion, but it sure seems to be rampant.

You're a welcome new addition here and I don't want to discourage your participation.  From other posts you've made I've seen some good, personal observations.  Other metal detecting forums aren't quite as well maintained as this one.  (I'm not a moderator -- that's Sysadmin Steve Herschbach's practice. He wields that sword sparingly, and from what I've seen, primarily for personal attacks, spam posts, etc.)  I'm just one member/poster, but it's in all of our best interests if what is written here is reasonably accurate and if possible, referenced, but in the least labeled as speculation/rumor/etc. when those are its foundations.

Bottom line is although starting or spreading rumors isn't prohibited AFAIK, it's definitely preferable those kinds of posts be explicitly labeled/qualified as such.

Again, welcome and I look forward to your continued participation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason-NEK said:

Bill from what I gather, Garret is currently breaking down the codes to the Whites V3i detector and looking to make a new chapter in the Garret lineup in the not so distant future.  I've also heard that the Apex line could be getting a new addition soon.  What some are calling the ATApex.  

That sounds like good news.   The biggest problems with the V3i were the slow speed of the processor and the very complicated menu system.   If they can fix those,  I think it's still has potential.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

That sounds like good news.   The biggest problems with the V3i were the slow speed of the processor and the very complicated menu system.   If they can fix those,  I think it's still has potential.

Those are relatively very easy fixes. So I'm wondering what's taking Garrett so long to release an updated V3i. Must be a financial rather than an engineering decision...

• Like 1