First Impressions Of The Deus II

On 1/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, Loren said:

I mean, this isn't an issue in terms of functionality, but my XP Deus II screen has permanent black plastic shavings imbedded into the screen. They are floating little black bits of plastic from the manufacturing process that almost look like dead pixels on the screen that I will never be able to get out. I didn't bring it up, because eventually my detector will be so coated in mud it won't matter, but getting a display full of random dirt and specks fresh out of the box feels sloppy and cheap to me, especially considering the price.

Hi Loren

I find this a little disturbing from your description.  If possible could you post a pic showing this?   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Hi Loren

I find this a little disturbing from your description.  If possible could you post a pic showing this?   

First i have heard of this issue it must be few and far between i have hundreds of users from around the world on my group and not one person has mentioned this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Loren said:

I might just be the unlucky one, but I might not have noticed the other plastic shavings if it wasn't for those few big ones. There are about 15 more of them, most very tiny. Several are on the screen protector layer and make bubbles in it, I guess I could get rid of those, but the big ones are deeper 😞

Send it back if your not happy it will be replaced, i did have one off my members say the same thing about the WS6 but it turned out to be under the plastic screen protector maybe this is the case here regardless it's only a matter of taking two screws out and giving it a blow if it's inside.

• Like 1

As a paying customer Erik, what are your thoughts on the antenna for the coil for underwater use? Do you think it's as crazy as I do they just didn't use a coil cable?

I would think they'd be able to make a wireless coil that's also capable of having a cord attached much like the antenna for underwater use where it screws onto the coil, and also screws into the control pod?  They could just have a protective screw on cover to go over it's mounting point when being used with wireless, much like they do with the caps for headphone sockets and the like.

Maybe not but to me that makes a whole lot more sense than having an antenna that's almost replicating a cable anyway.

I'm just a bit puzzled by this, it makes no sense to me.

298571603_XPdeus2.thumb.jpg.05cbe415ac9e523400bf81909cece2e7.jpg

That flimsy little wire just scares me, and the beaches around here often contain kelp, you'd tear that wire off if it got suck in some kelp.

Before the Deus fans get defensive it's just a question, they've done it this way and that's how it is, I just want Erik's opinion as a paying customer that does a lot of dive detecting what he thinks of this method vs just using a coil cable.

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Do you think it's as crazy as I do they just didn't use a coil cable?

Just got an internet connection again.. I'm on the other side of the Island at West Point where I can pick up mainland towers, so I'll be a quick as possible with a few answers.. 

Yeah, Phrunt i think XP are absolutely mad.. I'd happily ditch the fiddly, flimsy antenna assembly for a cable any day.. I think that the detector would run even better underwater.. still not too sure about wireless transmission in salt water but it does work so that could just be my fear of the unknown..    

On 1/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, phrunt said:

From my vague memory there was something like 15 shipwrecks around Magnetic Island?

I think (also from memory) that there's 24.. but most have disappeared into the sand.. I do find bits and pieces and also bits of cargo that they were carrying.. like those beams in the vid..

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I personally love the way the CTX 3030 does target ID's, it also may have been another option for you Erik, although just as pricey as the Deus 2 but works well in the salt for me and is waterproof.  I'd not trust a second hand one in the water though unless pretty recent as they initially had leaking with subpar seals but you can buy the seal replacement kits to get the better ones.

Anyway, not trying to move you off the Deus 2 to a CTX, may as well run the newest tech and the Deus can go a lot deeper.

But have a look at about the 1 minute 30 mark in this video where he runs targets over the coil, the ID's stay there for quite a while, it's great as you can waive over a target as you're walking along and then look down after you've already been over the target and see what ID it was, you don't need to rush to look down 🙂  It's quite a good way of doing it I think

I've set the video to start at the right spot.

The CTX also allows you to choose between large ID like in the video or smaller ID so you can see the other information better in the background, I find it's smaller ID size just fine, it's still plenty big enough.

I would think having ID's hang around on the screen for a bit is a good way to go, especially on a detector with good reliable ID's like the Deus 2 appears to have.

• Thanks 1

Deus II hard at work this morning at the back of Alma Bay.. Edit: Truth be known I got lost underwater again.. I came up for a look to see where I was.. 

2022-02-01.png

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The CTX also allows you to choose between large ID like in the video or smaller ID so you can see the other information better in the background, I find it's smaller ID size just fine, it's still plenty big enough.

As you've mentioned this would be a great update for the Deus II.. I like the large target ID on the CTX and the length of time the info stays on the screen, but it was off my bucket-list as I needed a detector for deeper water.. I really hope XP does keep us whiners in mind when they start to bring out updates for the Deus.. 

• Like 1