First Impressions Of The Deus II

13 minutes ago, Skullgolddiver said:

So new tools with high frequency, possibly usable underwater are a gamechanger on thin gold.

This was also what I was looking for in the Deus II as a scuba detector, using a non-PI detector with accurate target IDs (and which was stable in seawater and waterproof).. So far I've found it a very handy tool for the job.. 😁  

Thanks again for your knowledge and advice, it's all taken onboard.. Your PMs have helped me understand the tones and sound settings of the Deus II much better than I could ever learn from the manual..  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Thanks again for your knowledge and advice, it's all taken onboard..

Glad You're confirming my toughts on settings...

By the way I'm still waiting for my unit without a minimum idea of the arrival.

I tested one of the really first batch machine owned by a man from abroad, but really touched the hearth of It within minutes...Now I miss the seabed with It to check if I'm right...

However, the GB option in manual Is unavailable in beach sens...I believe You're forced to use grab...

You can Always use a General matrix to modify what I said.

Good luck Brother.

Gold in mouth.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Skullgolddiver said:

However, the GB option in manual Is unavailable in beach sens...I believe You're forced to use grab...

I've never used GB underwater, the Deus's salt settings seem to do the job instead.. the salt settings are available in the diving and beach modes.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

salt settings seem to do the job instead

Good to know....Still remains to understand if reducing the value, without to touch a 90/95 sens., the filter can kill the higher frequency to calm down the sound...

Which Is exactly what I want to know notching a precise interference with GB, instead of removing with disc a middle area where foil can fall...

We'll see💣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

It would be very easy for them to make the large TID an optional feature where one could toggle between the default display that's already in play and the one that Steve shared.    Cell phones have had "accessibility" options like this for a decade.

They already have the option to select between the "standard" display and the X-Y screen as your default screen for any given mode so adding a third "TID no frills" screen as a third option seems trivial.  Heck, on my watch you can edit and customize the layout of the displayed screen information to your heart's content.  Adding a similar screen customization feature using the already developed screen information component icons, again, is somewhat trivial from a programming perspective, and would really set Deus 2 apart.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Skullgolddiver said:

So new tools with high frequency, possibly usable underwater are a gamechanger on thin gold.

There won’t be, will not be, can’t be. This comes up with every new saltwater detector, and it’s not going to happen. Here is why:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/13980-ctx-vs-equinox-800/#comment-140685

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Here is why

I might be wrong, but the only light in the tunnel i see Is to try to keep focus among salt falsing to hear a more solid signal...An hard challenge, maybe obtainable with high enough salt sens to hear a faint nervous audio, but still manageable.

• Like 4

I don't have a Deus 2 yet and I live where there is a foot of snow not near a saltwater beach........I can only go by what I have seen in Calabash's and other's beach videos using Beach Sensitive which is published to have one FMF operating frequency near 40 kHz. So far on beaches with very little black sand, Beach Sensitive has been able to run fairly quietly in dry and wet sand even with overall sensitivity set at 95 of 99 and with it being used by fairly inexperienced beach hunters but very experienced Deus 1 users. Salt sensitivity has been set at around 7 to keep it stable. I have also mentioned that I have been able to run Equinox Park 1 and Park 2 effectively in the dry and slightly damp sand at the same beaches hunted by Calabash and History Teacher. Definitely can't run Park 1 and Park 2 in the wet sand there, however.

I have said several times directly to John that I don't know how XP managed to do this. I still don't. I can only assume that the Salt Sensitivity settings really work well especially on the inherently more "unstable" higher frequency weighted beach modes like Beach and Beach Sensitive.

There has been lots of talk about Beach Sensitive being very sensitive to micro gold jewelry. I have not seen any wild micro gold jewelry targets dug so far that an Equinox in Beach 1 won't hit if shallow. However, there is no doubt that Beach Sensitive is far more sensitive to small targets than Equinox Beach 1 as it should be.....40 kHz vs +/- 20 kHz.

It is interesting or telling, that the current Deus 2 manual never mentions micro gold jewelry in its paragraphs on each Beach mode. It repeatedly mentions small and large target level of effectiveness with no specific conductivity referenced. Beach Sensitive is touted to be effective on both small and large targets. No mention is made for using Beach Sensitive submerged. The Diving and normal Beach programs do have references for use submerged.

So Skullgolddiver, using Beach Sensitive for diving would mean you would have to really tweak the Salt Sensitivity setting and that might knock out some sensitivity to small gold jewelry, small platinum jewelry and small steel jewelry or smaller targets that are poorly oriented or damaged as referenced in this section of the manual on Salt Sensitivity where low conductors are actually mentioned:

" When using higher levels of SALT SENS, low conductive targets that register around TID 30 may also be slightly attenuated, this setting will not effect higher conductive targets."  

Using higher levels of Bottle Cap Reject may also effect small non-ferrous low conductors.

So, maybe XP have somehow bent the laws of physics or found a loophole..............or come to a workable compromise that allows the use of a frequency near 40 kHz at saltwater beaches.

Hope you feel better soon John. 

Hugh, stop ribbing me about my Covid excuses. My sister and mother are both long Covid sufferers so I might really have a good excuse for my idiocy🤪

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I can only assume that the Salt Sensitivity settings really work well especially on the inherently more "unstable" higher frequency weighted beach modes like Beach and Beach Sensitive.

They also work well in program 10 Diving.. I'm finding Beach Sensitive pretty unstable underwater, this program's use of higher frequencies becomes much more noticeable.. Beach is alright, but the Diving program with it's lower frequencies does help the detector run smoothly in seawater..  

Using higher levels of Bottle Cap Reject may also effect non-ferrous low conductors.

I tied finding a fairly chunky gold ring underwater with B.Caps on high, I couldn't find it again.. So I won't be using this function much as for me this is a 'once bitten, twice shy' scenario.. When I'm trying to recover rings for people I can't afford to miss them through gimmicky settings like these.. I can understand how B.Cap might be useful on a really rubbishy beach, but I'm always worried about missing the good stuff that's found within the same target range..  

So, maybe XP have somehow bent the laws of physics or found a loophole..............

I'm sure that's the reason the Deus II is so expensive.. 

• Like 1

This morning at Alma Bay.. I brought a camera along as the visibility was good, usually it's pretty murky because of the muddy mangroves along the coast.. I was on a ring recovery job when I noticed some fish watching me.. I didn't find the ring (it was lost last weekend) simply because I can't hear the Deus II, but I've ordered the bone-phones so I'm sure to find it next week.. I ended up having another looksee with the PulseDive but still no luck.. Anyway, these were the diving conditions today: 

• Like 6