First Impressions Of The Deus II

On 2/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, Tnsharpshooter said:

Which coil are you using on Deus 2?

I'm using the 11" coil.. It's also becoming a bit of a bugbear, along with the target ID display (but I won't rehash that one again, see previous posts).. But I haven't chanced my mind one inch on the coil: the Deus II needs a bigger coil.. I've seen them in the brochures but not on the market.. XP stop teasing us! You're only hurting yourself and will never compete with Minelab if you keep this up!  

On the Equinox I use both the ML 13x15" and the Coiltek 15'' coils underwater.. Bigger coils underwater might not be everyone's cup of tea (and I do use a 11''), but I don't have much trouble using them.. Sure, they are harder to drag around and weigh a tonne.. But for me, the advantage of greater coverage and depth outweigh those factors.. IMHO there's really no great difference to dragging a 11" coil through the water compared to a 15" - both are hard work..

I also like the larger coils for underwater use because they weigh down the detector just where you need it, on the nose.. The Deus II is very 'floaty' when you put it down to fan or dig, it wanders away from you.. the Equinox's heavier coils stay where you've put them, right at hand to scan the hole again if needed..

This might all be small fry complaints or just another rant, but when I think I've got a good target it sucks not having your tool right there where you left it.. 😬

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It sucks that the audio adapter cable (if one needs it) and bone phones aren't included as an option

The only clue the manual gives on it needing a cable adapter for the bone-phones is tucked away on the bottom of page 35.. 

1.png

And you're spot on about them not being included, not only the hassle of multiple orders but the costs of it all..   

1 minute ago, Erik Oostra said:

The only clue the manual gives on it needing a cable adapter for the bone-phones is tucked away on the bottom of page 35.. 

1.png

I don’t think the bone phones need the audio cable adapter. If you wanted to use different 1/4” or 1/8” plug wired headphones or earbuds and you wanted to plug them into the remote control, you would need the audio adapter cable.

• Like 2

The video that had yet to be done is this. One that takes a large collection of tiny gold and platinum targets. And a machine that can fully tune across the “salt threshold”, like the Equinox. Set up in Gold Mode with hottest settings and test targets. Now, set machine to tune out salt signal, no more than needed, and see what targets get lost. Then we would have some definitive answers.

Frankly, it’s micro jewelry, and one can debate whether it’s really any loss at all. How many of you focus on hunting micro jewelry? Lots of people talk about it, but few do it. You are not just missing small gold by tuning out salt, but a vast amount of small aluminum. Hunting micro jewelry may as well be called aluminum detecting, with jewelry found as a byproduct.

I would argue the issue is overblown. I am a nugget hunter, and focusing on the tiniest gold is NOT the way to go. I have to hunt in the gram range at least. One big nugget makes up for a lot of missed tiny stuff, and it’s often more work to recover tiny bits than larger nuggets. Or an ear ring in surf that slips through the scoop, versus a ring. Most jewelry hunters will do best focusing on weight via rings. The proverbial 1 carat diamond set in a Cartier single post ear ring is not what normally gets found hunting micro jewelry. More likely a worthless CZ. Cheap fake jewelry makes up the bulk of micro jewelry finds in my experience. And give me a heavy gold bracelet over a super thin gold chain any day. :smile:

metal-detector-gold-saltwater-beach-chains.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Interesting videos. Would be easier with a sand scoop. You did get it though. Was that a silver ring?

• Like 1

The whole micro jewelry thing really baffles me...I mean what is the attraction? The Nox and CTX both will hit on diamond stud earring..most of which are just junk anyways....the small stuff falls out of the scoop back into the sand....I usually just say screw it after a couple attempts...does anyone make a micro jewelry beach scoop?... nope....unless it's a big diamond its not really worth anything anyways....what is micro gold worth? It just all sounds silly to me.....Prove me wrong and I may think otherwise...if your gonna hunt for jewelry on the beach look at OBN and his finds...thats the way to go IMHO.

strick 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, strick said:

The whole micro jewelry thing really baffles me...I mean what is the attraction? The Nox and CTX both will hit on diamond stud earring..most of which are just junk anyways....the small stuff falls out of the scoop back into the sand....I usually just say screw it after a couple attempts...does anyone make a micro jewelry beach scoop?... nope....unless it's a big diamond its not really worth anything anyways....what is micro gold worth? It just all sounds silly to me.....Prove me wrong and I may think otherwise...if your gonna hunt for jewelry on the beach look at OBN and his finds...thats the way to go IMHO.

strick 

A similar argument has been made for grain-sized natural gold and USA coins, particularly (and close to my heart) USA 5 cent 'nickels'.  Why do people fish if they are just going to throw it back if they even catch one?  Why do people golf who have no chance of ever breaking 80 (or 90, or...)?

Sometimes its about the challenge and (small, in the eyes of some) accomplishment.  Now in my case, there's a juicy key date Jeffie or Buffie out there just waiting for me, so I'm swinging for the fences, not hitting for average.  And I can even keep the undersized sunfish.  😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Looks like I've been busted once again 🙂 why would anyone want to hunt for gold this small...#8 and #9 bird shot for comparison...not to mention spend 6K on a machine that finds this stuff easily...your right it's all about the challenge! 

strick

thumbnail (11).jpeg

• Like 5

With nuggets there are more smaller targets to be found, tiny gold is far more common than big gold.  I would guess when it comes to hunting on a beach looking for rings there would be more rings to be found than earring backs and the like.

As someone that hunts tiny gold nuggets I just couldn't be bothered looking for the back of an earring, it's just not the same as a nugget.  Yes you may eventually find some small diamond stud earring, but in that time you've wasted finding these little targets all the time you may have found something better that's bigger 😉

I couldn't even justify it for the challenge, each to their own though.  We all find different things enjoyable.

• Like 6